Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Problems with a Singer Treadle >

Problems with a Singer Treadle

Problems with a Singer Treadle

Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM

Default Problems with a Singer Treadle

I just recently got a new belt for my Treadle, and when i try and sew it only stitches a few stitches then stops. Its like the spoked wheel grabs the clutch wheel for a bit then slips off the clutch, but the spoked wheel keeps spinning. Could it maybe be that I dont have the belt tight enough? When i try and disengage the Sewing function to wind the bobbin it doesnt stop like its supposed to, it just keeps on rotating. I dont know whats wrong and i would like to try and fix it myself without having to take it to a machine repair shop.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

When my belt is too loose, I have to treadle like a mad woman to get any moment since the belt is slipping. With my treadle I turn the little silver knob on the wheel to disengage the needle movement while I fill a bobbin.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 AM

If the belt is tight then you may have to take the clutch apart and clean it. Back the screw out on the clutch knob, unscrew the knob and take the 3 tab washer out noting which way it's facing, it does make a difference. Clean everything well, oil and put it back together. If you still have trouble, it's possible someone before you put the washer in backwards.
Rodney

EDITED due to didn't notice Singer in the title at first

Last edited by Rodney; 01-30-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM

I cant unscrew the screw in the clutch its like someone super glued it in there but maybe im just not strong enough for it. When i use the wheel without the belt(just using my hand to turn it) it turns works perfectly fine but when i put the belt on it it only spins the spoked wheel after a couple stitches.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

here is a good discussion of the clutch part of a machine:
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/lab...clamp%20washer
They can get very stuck - you may have to work at it a bit to get it unstuck. I think that discussion is somewhere on this thread but I have no idea where: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t236275.html it is a good read though.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:20 AM

Thanks that helped alot now im just gonna try and screw it and see whats going on in there. I thought it was a problem with the clutch before but i wasnt sure so many if i can gt it off i can see whats going on in there
Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Is the middle wheel supposed to spin when i try and unscrew it? Is it supposed to stop?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:42 AM

The clutch wheel will unscrew from the handwheel to remove it--BUT if it stops, you have NOT backed the little screw out far enough. That's what stops it.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

After you get that screw out the knob may or may not unscrew. You can use some leather gloves and try to grip it - there are other methods. Usually my DH wears the gloves - I don't have as much strength.

Last edited by miriam; 01-30-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:23 PM

Remove the small set screw from the knob and if it still won't unscrew, take the needle out of the bar, and the presser foot off, put a small block of wood under the needle bar, and as you unscrew the clutch knob it will cause the needle bar to hit the wood, then put more force into unscrewing the clutch knob. If you still can't unscrew it, protect the knob with a leather strip or gloves and use a big pliers. It also helps to put tri flow on the area stuck.

When putting the clutch knob back on, I never can seem to get it right the first time. If it is not working properly, take it back off and turn the lock ring so the notches are re-aligned and try it again.

Good luck with it, may you treadle on!

Ethel