Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Project Rewind:  back to the 60s - Reuse your wooden spools! >

Project Rewind: back to the 60s - Reuse your wooden spools!

Project Rewind: back to the 60s - Reuse your wooden spools!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Fantastic! I'll have to give it a try (if I haven't thrown all my empty wooden spools away).
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cvthedragonlady View Post
I use an electric drill with a chopstick through the spool and rewind mine. There are wooden spools available from craft places, and I got some brand new ones in a batch of "seconds" for making parrot toys.
Carol V___Pa.
See,.. Parrot toys wouldn't have ever occurred to me, but you're the second person I've seen mention them.

One of the links that I found mentioned a drill as well. I was thinking I'd make a "stand alone", using something like that, or a shaft on a SM motor,... It's not like I don't have enough of those here.. it would be like the Long Arm Bobbin Winder setups.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 PM

That's a brilliant idea! I have several dozen of the things-seems like every old machine case/table/box of stuff has a few in it.

If you put a straw over the spool pin, would that help prevent lift-off when you're winding?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM

I'm sort of in the same boat. The problem is that most of mine still have thread on them, and I can't bring myself to unwind them. Those ones I display. The empty ones (Or the ones I can see wood through the thread, so there's barely any thread on them) I rewind, but the first picture is the sum total of the spools I have to rewind.

It's not the spool side that launches, it's the one with the H&L Tape. Technically, I need stronger H&L, or a more balanced spool / bobbin combo. Otherwise, the straw would be a great idea.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 AM

So glad I found this again...I was just telling a friend about this...
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Glad to help carolaug.

I managed to get another 40 odd spools this weekend. Lots to try to rewind. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way that will work for everyone. Will take me some time though, I have 3 machines on my bench (2 of which could wind spools... )
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 PM

I have probably a thousand wooden spools..never have really sat down and counted them..been collecting for a long time..don't see many at flea markets and garage sales anymore..but have seen quite a few on ebay...
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM

We hit some of the antique stores this weekend (which is how I ended up with a FW table. *sigh* no will power at all), and typically, in the past we've seen them there too. There weren't any that I saw at all, other than the $3 a spool silk thread that's been there for at least a year that I know of.

The way I've been getting them is by putting a wanted ad in the local buy and sell. I just don't want to do e-bay these days. The shipping is extortion, the prices are terrible. I'm liking Bonanza though. The sellers are so much more reasonable, or at least the one I've been dealing with is.