Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Putting Together a Hand Cranked 115 for Remote On-Board Canvas Repairs? >

Putting Together a Hand Cranked 115 for Remote On-Board Canvas Repairs?

Putting Together a Hand Cranked 115 for Remote On-Board Canvas Repairs?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Default Putting Together a Hand Cranked 115 for Remote On-Board Canvas Repairs?

I've been using a 127 hand crank for remote or on-board canvas sewing repairs. It works well, but, I recently got a good buy on a 115 with a 9 spoke hand-wheel. The 115 will be heavier to carry around but it's bulk also is a plus for the type sewing I do - usually patching a hole, tear, or resewing seams. I have an after market hand crank and an original Singer crank. The machine should be here in a few days and I'm excited to make it the goto monster remote sewing machine with #16 or 18 needles and V-69 or 92 thread.

Am I using solid thinking here? CD, I'd especially like your take on this. I'm interested in all conversation concerning the 115 in addition to thoughts on hank cranking it.

Ron in Fridged NW MO.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM

I just recently got my Singer 115 rigged up with a 9-spoke hand wheel on it to use in one of my home treadles, but I haven’t actually used it yet except to test-sew it after cleaning and adjusting. It’s just as ready to be outfitted with a hand crank and used that way too, but I have it set for using Tex30 threads.

Before I got my Singer 31-15 treadle up and running, I used my Singer 66-3 (66-1 back-clamp with a hand crank on it) with Coats & Clark Upholstery Thread in it for canvas and thin vinyl. I’m guessing the thread size would be about Tex70, so a little larger than size V-69 but smaller than V-92. I never have used V-92 in my 66, and I’ve never used size 69 at all. It sewed the C&C alright, but I had problems with keeping the feed and stitch length consistent for a nice stitch. The feed dog would slip unless I made sure that the fabric had absolutely no restriction or pull on it, which is hard to do with fabric hanging off of both sides of the work area on long seams and hems. A roller foot is a little more forgiving, and a combination feed walking foot can pull some weight, but a feed dog alone struggles.

With that problem beside the point, I would think that the 115 would be a better machine to use instead of my 66 because of the rotary bobbin, but I haven’t actually tried it. I use V-92 in my 31-15 with a roller foot on it, and the bobbin cases should be comparable for thread size that they each will handle. But, I have no experience using V-92 in a 115. I’ll be interested in finding out how it goes.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
I'm interested in all conversation concerning the 115 in addition to thoughts on hank cranking it.
Received the 115 today. Some parts were missing, the stitch length lever, bobbin case and viewing plate on back side. After putting it all together and without cleaning or changing needles or adjusting the tension, it sewed a pretty good stitch. I had in the back of my mind if the 115 was beyond repair I would trade out the 9 spoke hand wheel to a spare 15 I have and make a 15 the hand crank I wanted. It appears the 115 will work fine. I like the rotary bobbin. It is as smooth as the 201.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 AM

This hand cranked 115 is to be a utilitarian machine. It will be built and maintained as a work in progress working machine used to repair canvas type materials in remote settings. I have not cleaned it. I have oiled it, replaced a face plate, removed the light and motor. I have installed an after market HC and tried sewing with up to v-92 polyester. It does handle the large thread but the smallish bobbin limits the amount used at one filling. Think I'll limit it to 69 thread. I'm going to trick this machine out to make it one of my favorites. I say this about each new acquisition, then comes along another idea. Space and time may change my habits. This has to be the last machine. I will spend my time enjoying the ones I have.[ATTACH=CONFIG]505357[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 01-09-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 AM

That’s a nice-looking machine. It should do the job. I would think that V-69 thread would be strong enough for about any canvas application I can think of at the moment.

Good choice for your last machine.

CD in Oklahoma