Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
QB get together in Tumwater and question >

QB get together in Tumwater and question

QB get together in Tumwater and question

Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Default QB get together in Tumwater and question

I have a cute model 24 singer, don't know what other number it has with it, can't find this exact model yet anywhere and I would like to bring it to the get together and try it out but I don't have a needle for it. If you are coming to the get together and have a needle 24x1 that I can buy for it I would really appreciate that. If not we can look at it. I will put up some pics.

I have questions about the rust/dirt on it. I cleaned what I could out of and oiled everything I could find, didn't take anything apart, but did take off the bed and face plate and cleaned them up. I had to use Navel Jelly on it because our hardware store had nothing else. I don't think it looks that good and there isn't a shine to it either. Where does one find evapo rust or something like that? IN the Olympia area would work for me.

You will see on the pics where all the dark brown spots are to clean, the wheel and such lots of screws etc.
Also I have a pic of underneath the bed, I don't know how to actually clean the crud off of those parts, I don't want to take it apart, it runs smoothly, is it okay to leave it gunky looking? It was really smooth before I oiled it, but is better now. I think that is it, I appreciate any help I can get. I don't have a clue where to get a manual for it either. I have checked places out but most aren't this model, may have to just get one that is kind of close to it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]534340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]534341[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]534342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5625.jpg   img_5629.jpg   img_5630.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 PM
Banned

For use on the metal internal parts
Q-Tips and sewing machine oil. no chance to harm anything, but will clean slowly.
Q-Tips and Kerosene slight chance to harm decals, cleans a bit quicker
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 PM

I had to look up "Tumwater". The 24x1 is a popular needle for Toy sewing machines. Anyone with a Singer 20 Sewhandy that's attempted to use it should have a surplus.

Jon
Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 AM

Default 1937 manual for 24

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I have a cute model 24 singer,...
I don't have a clue where to get a manual for it either.
That is cute. Those metal chain stitchers are neat. I don't have one but was fortunate to see/sew with Gray Fox's at the Colorado get together.

Would http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...2670/index.htm be what you are looking for?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:23 AM

I looked at the link I posted for the 24 at sil.si.edu and see that the tension is on the front and I don't see that on yours. Is your tension and does it look similar to the one shown on page 10? Also I'm curious as to where the serial number is on yours.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM

Sewbeadit has the "newer" version with the auto tension at the top. They are "automatic tension" as you really never adjust it. It's sort of a hard stop - it clamps the thread down tight and releases at a certain point to let thread flow, and then clamps down tight again. Sort of like an On/Off deal.

This is the older style Singer

This is the newer style (this one is set up as a treadle)

And for comparison, a W&G (later style)

and a National - made off the W&G design.

My frustration - while Boye made needles for the W&G machines, they did not make them for the Singer 24. I bought some off eBay.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 AM

Thank you Macybaby - I sure like looking at your pictures and reading about the various machines and attachments.

I guess I should be more thorough in my research before posting. I looked again at the Smithsonian manual after downloading the 1950 manual at singerco and realized that both are specifically for the "Class 24" "FOR MANUFACTURING". oops.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM

Evaporust is available at Harbor Freight in Olympia. I'm not sure that it's any better than naval jelly though. It will turn metal dark as well. Most do. Most rust converters work by turning red rust into black iron oxide which is basically inert.
Please bring your machine. I haven't seen one in person yet.
Alcohol dissolves old oil but it will destroy your clearcoat and decals. Use cautiously. Better yet, remove parts to clean them.
Rodney
Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 AM

I bought my evaporust at Advanced Auto Parts. It should be pretty easy to find IF you remember that you are looking for it. It only took me 3 or 4 trips to remember to look.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM

I think Billie's fabrics in Chehalis might have your needles. The owners husband has an extensive collection of toy sewing machines. I enjoy going in there not only to fondle all of there lovely fabric but to see the interesting machines on display.