QB member sent a spider

Old 05-19-2015, 03:22 AM

Miriam,

You are a good daughter. You are helping your parents in the most important way - with your time and attention. No matter what happens, you will know in your heart of hearts, that you did your best.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:26 AM

Neat! I'll click on those links to learn more about the spider another time. Does look like there should be another spot for that thread to go through after the tension.
Love the story of your Mom thriving under your care. Although some conditions do not allow a patient to ever get well, her quality of life has certainly improved under your care. Be strong and God bless you both. My father also has Alzheimer's. He's been in an assisted living facility for six years, and the last nine years in nursing homes. (He turned 98 yesterday!) I tip my hat to you for being able to care for your Mom in your home.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Mavis, I wish I was in my own home. I'm in theirs. Something could change and be fine with me.... Mom is thriving at least for now and for the most part. I left her a sink full of dirty dishes and she is loading the dish washer! She is trying very hard to do more.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Miriam,

You are a good daughter. You are helping your parents in the most important way - with your time and attention. No matter what happens, you will know in your heart of hearts, that you did your best.
Joan, Thank you SO MUCH for being there for me. You have encouraged me to no end. I was so encouraged by what you did for your own mother and father. Do you know this morning she got up and was not so good. I got her to eat an oatmeal laced smoothie. She was in pretty sound mind. I encouraged her to sew on the Standard. Low and BEHOLD. She instinctively knew how to work the chain!!! She kept saying she shouldn't have sold that chain stitch machine the other day.... so much for sound mind.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 AM

Miriam, did you also replace the needle plate with the one for the Chain Stitch? I've got manuals for both the slim and stout, with a part about using the chain stitch adaptor. I've not tried it with either of mine yet.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Well Mom and I have been giving the machine a work out and the stitches are more even now. I loosened the pressure bar a bit and it sews a lot better now. I don't have any other plate and I don't have a manual - just seat of the pants trial and error. Mom is pretty excited about that machine. A lot has come back - she remembers it was a full sized machine and she paid $25 for it in mid 1940s. She sewed her college home ec projects on it. It was a treadle. She has no idea what model. I asked her if it was a Singer and she doesn't know. Maybe it was a Standard???
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM

If it was a chain stitch full size, it's very likely it was a Standard. I believe the only Singer chain stitch for domestic use is the small model 24. I've read that there was a chain stitch adapter for the WW, and also one for White Rotarys, but they are quite rare.

The plate for the chain stitch has a notch at the back to let the thread not get pulled by the plate as the feeds move the fabric. It could be what is giving you uneven stitches - as the thread rubs on the plate as the loop is being tightened by the next stitch.

I may have an extra one. In my search to completes full sets of attachments, I've often ended up buying 2 - 3 partial sets, and often they also came with the chain stitch plates. I'm going to be so happy when I finally get my attachment sets organized, so I can have a separate location to put all the extras that I can pass on to others.

I'll see about getting you a copy of the manual too. I've tried to collect an appropriate manual for each machine in my collection - and some day I'll have them all scanned so it will be easy to share.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

She swears it was a Singer. I have my doubts. Maybe it was just a black machine and all machines are Singers??? Who knows. She says she regrets selling it.
Cathy I haven't looked at the throat plate to know if it has something down there or not. It is making a more even stitch than it was. It is not all that tight either.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM

The needle hole is elongated - and the thread can pass through into the feed dog opening - I would expect this one would not work well for regular stitching.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:37 PM

thanks I'll check out the links later! I guess I've just never known about chain stitch- I've heard the term before but didn't know what the purpose of a chain stitch was... it's cool you're playing with your machine! tomorrow and thursday I have college kiddos helping move stuff around to give me some space here so hopefully I can get my treadles out where I can use them and get some other machines set up - bye bye king bed and hello sewing and exercise space! :=)