Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about Free Westinghouse >

Question about Free Westinghouse

Question about Free Westinghouse

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
"I have a local Sewing shop who called me because he has a customer with a Free Westinghouse VS."

I only collect older machines so I have no idea of the value. I think the thread is no longer about Free Westinghouse machines (wink)
LOL Steve, I was still on the Free Westinghouse getting a bobbin as I too am looking for them. While hunting I came across which other sewing machine bobbin may work. I myself picked up one on Sunday that has 1 bobbin, and the bobbin case but they have some rust (soaking in oil at this time) and was hoping to find a replacement bobbin case and a few more non rusted bobbins. The only place durring my search I found any that were available was the on Sewingmachine221 then measured the ones I have here to see which size was needed for mine. I noticed that the other machines that suppose to use the same bobbin case and bobbins and then hunted for those machine parts hoping to find a cheaper price.

Here is the one I picked up ALB # 386423 before cleaning

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409705[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409706[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409707[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-odd-people-049.jpg   sewing-odd-people-050.jpg   sewing-odd-people-055.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Steve I did find while I was hunting for my parts what you are looking for but since it wasn't what I needed and I hadn't read this post yet I didn't save them. Yet since it seems there are other parts by different sewing companies that have the same parts maybe there is also for the one what that person needs? Gosh I wish then while I was searching I knew you wanted that information I would of linked it here for you to help.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
I hate to argue with Graham over at ISMACS, but the picture in the first link is a New Process Gear Corp. machine.
It takes the 3368 bobbin case with the smaller bobbin, #1025 aka H. The H bobbin package that I have ( somewhere) in my collection states that it fits the Featherweight. I will have to try the H bobbin in my Featherweight and try the Featherweight bobbin in my Kenmore 71. Unfortunately I won't be home until Sunday afternoon to try this out.
Joe has a 120.49 which is basically the same machine. Maybe he can try it out for us.

Cathy
Cathy,

Just got down to the basement and checked the bobbins on the 120-491 vs the Featherweight. The 120-491 bobbins are just a rim thickness wider than the FW bobbins, but they do fit in the FW bobbin case and don't bind when mounted on the FW. I tried the FW bobbins in the 120-491 and they fit but were just a bit thinner in the case.
I don't doubt they'd interchange, but considering the extra thickness of the non FW bobbins you might run into tolerance problems on some machines.

Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM

carolotto,

Soak the bobbin case in Evapo-Rust, that will derust it much better than oil.

Also try FW bobbins if you can't find any OEM ones.

Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
carolotto,

Soak the bobbin case in Evapo-Rust, that will derust it much better than oil.

Also try FW bobbins if you can't find any OEM ones.

Joe
Thank you Joe! I will get some Evapo-Rust. I own a Featherweight with all OEM bobbins so I should be ok there to try it.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM

Joe,

Thank you for the testing. I guess the only way to know for sure whether or not everything is interchangeable is to try.
I'll see if I can do that next weekend when I get back home.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

Just got down to the basement and checked the bobbins on the 120-491 vs the Featherweight. The 120-491 bobbins are just a rim thickness wider than the FW bobbins, but they do fit in the FW bobbin case and don't bind when mounted on the FW. I tried the FW bobbins in the 120-491 and they fit but were just a bit thinner in the case.
I don't doubt they'd interchange, but considering the extra thickness of the non FW bobbins you might run into tolerance problems on some machines.

Joe
Old 05-04-2013, 09:07 PM

I was just given this exact same machine and have been scouring the net looking for more information; do you have any idea of its history, how i can find out when it was manufactured, etc...
Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by caroloto View Post
LOL Steve, I was still on the Free Westinghouse getting a bobbin as I too am looking for them. While hunting I came across which other sewing machine bobbin may work. I myself picked up one on Sunday that has 1 bobbin, and the bobbin case but they have some rust (soaking in oil at this time) and was hoping to find a replacement bobbin case and a few more non rusted bobbins. The only place durring my search I found any that were available was the on Sewingmachine221 then measured the ones I have here to see which size was needed for mine. I noticed that the other machines that suppose to use the same bobbin case and bobbins and then hunted for those machine parts hoping to find a cheaper price.

Here is the one I picked up ALB # 386423 before cleaning

[ATTACH=CONFIG]409705[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409706[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409707[/ATTACH]
I was just given this exact same machine and have been scouring the net looking for more information; do you have any idea of its history, how i can find out when it was manufactured, etc... mine came in a cabinet...
Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Well yes I can give you the information I have found so far. Yet I know these machines were made in Rockford, IL about 45 miles from where I live and I was just told the other day that the factory (no longer used) the building is still there...I may in the neat future look into where it/the building is suppose to be and take a ride to see it, if I do I'll take pictures and share here. Really hoping that there maybe a history information on the machines too.

I found one that is for sale on this site: http://www.singeroriginalvintageprod...CHINESALE.aspx

Not sure if yours came with a manual? Mine didn't so I found where I could get one:
http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....923708588.html
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM

Found some more information on the ALB http://myperfectstitch.blogspot.com/...r-classic.html this tells how to buy Schultz needles to grind them down to fit on and give you the perfect stitch.

Not sure if these will still work as it was posted 4 years ago: "New Home also has records showing manufacturing dates up to 1955. If you have a machine manufactured by New Home or Free Westinghouse and want to know the year of manufacture, please send the serial number to the New Home Sewing Machine Co, PO Box 25901, Los Angeles 25, California." http://www.ismacs.net/newhome/manufacture_dates.html

As I find more I'll post it.