Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about hesitation in FW? >

Question about hesitation in FW?

Question about hesitation in FW?

Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 AM

Default Question about hesitation in FW?

J have had my white Featheweight for about 3 months and purchased it from a reliable source so I think my issue is "user related". When I start sewing with needle down and holding thread (as was suggested here on the VSMS) and I press the pedal, I get a hesitation and have to turn the hand wheel to get it started. Is this normal for the white FW? Also, when I press the pedal, it takes off 90 miles per hour...I can not get it to start slow and speed up gradually. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't have the same problem with my black FW?

What am I missing? Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 AM

I don't think it's you; this sounds to me more like a pedal problem. It was explained to me once that there's a part in the pedal that is variously responsive (like a rheostat), only now, it isn't so much variable any more. Or it may be something simpler, like something being loose in the pedal, and 5 minutes with a screwdriver will solve it. I ended up buying a new pedal, but the machine in question wasn't a FW.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM

I found that I was placeing my foot in the wrong position on the pedal...maybe even upside down ! (can't remember) anyway the pedal doesn't look like my others. Saw it somewhere, maybe the manual. I don't use mine often enough.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:35 AM

sounds like a pedal problem
Old 01-02-2012, 10:25 AM

I am having the same problem with my black FW. I just got it for Christmas, so I am still getting used to it. I saw somewhere that I can order a new foot control and was thinking that I might do that. Otherwise I really love that little machine. She is just so cute.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM

The pedal on my white FW is different from any of the other FWs or machines. It is more horizontal than vertical and has ridges on it. The part that you press is one piece. I may just take it apart and see if some gremlins are hiding in there!!

Now my black FW is acting up. Just can't get these girls to behave. All that is wrong with the black one is a piece of thread has wrapped itself around the bobbin case base...so no problem, right? Pulled out my manual and it tells how to take the base off...very detailed drawing...BUT my machine doesn't have a screw that the books shows!! Why can't anything ever be simple? Does anyone know how to take "gib" off. The manual shows a small screw on the right (this is on page 5/6, Fig. 6 & 7 of the manual) but I swear that screw is NOT on my machine!!

I want to sew so I guess I'll get out my 301. LOL
Old 01-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
The manual shows a small screw on the right (this is on page 5/6, Fig. 6 & 7 of the manual) but I swear that screw is NOT on my machine!!

I want to sew so I guess I'll get out my 301. LOL
If you take out the bobbin case, you will see the small screw.

ETA: I can't find my manual but did find my Service Manual (I think it's different) and it seems as if there are 2 kinds of bobbin case bases...."old style" and "latest style". On the 'latest style' the gib screw is lower down on the ride hand side and on the 'old style' the gib screw is higher up on the right hand side. If you want I can take a pic of this manual page and send it to you.

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 01-02-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM

cabbagepatchkid, that would be great for you to send me a pic of the page. I have gotten a magnifying glass and a light and I still can't find a screw any where near where the manual says. I did take off the feed dogs so I can see straight down in there and from the side and still no screw. The thread is just stuck around the gib piece. One little single piece....Grrrrrrrrr
Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 AM

Partial success!! The screw was so tiny and the light wasn't helping because the screw is almost sitting behind another piece on the bobbin base. I have a screwdriver that fits it but that st**** screw won't budge!! I've sprayed it with Liquid Wrench twice and tried to turn it several times. Hopefully letting it soak overnight will loosen it so more. I don't have a manly man around here to use his brute strength! LOL

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Partial success!! The screw was so tiny and the light wasn't helping because the screw is almost sitting behind another piece on the bobbin base. I have a screwdriver that fits it but that st**** screw won't budge!! I've sprayed it with Liquid Wrench twice and tried to turn it several times. Hopefully letting it soak overnight will loosen it so more. I don't have a manly man around here to use his brute strength! LOL

Any other suggestions?
How about giving the screwdriver a VERY light tap while it's sitting in the slot? I'm glad that you found the screw. It is really tiny. I found that when I turn the handwheel the gib rotates. Maybe you can rotate it to an easier place to work on.