Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about an old Brother sewing machine >

Question about an old Brother sewing machine

Question about an old Brother sewing machine

Old 12-31-2010, 01:29 PM

The old Brother that I had took the universal bobbins. It should tell on the package what machines they fit. They even list the vintage Singers on the packages.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
You should be able to get bobbins at JoAnn's or another fabric store. Take the bobbin with you and compare it to what they have. A lot of them fit more than one machine.
-----------------------
I agree with MaggieLou. Take it in and compare it with others, even if you have to buy one to take the package apart. Check the size against yours, then the height against yours. Might be the easiest way. There are not that many different ones that have been made, from the metal ones to the plastic.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks. I knew that this board could help me even though Brother itself couldn't or wouldn't. This board is the best.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:26 PM

try ebay.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by scrapngmom
Thanks. I knew that this board could help me even though Brother itself couldn't or wouldn't. This board is the best.
I would like to see a photo of your machine to see if it is like the one I gave my g-grandson. I might be able to send you a zipper foot.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I would like to see a photo of your machine to see if it is like the one I gave my g-grandson. I might be able to send you a zipper foot.
Here is a picture of the sewing machine. Sorry it took so long, had problems with my computer and had to take pic with my phone and then go into town so I could email the picture back to me (I don't get cell service at my house.) LOL
Attached Thumbnails attachment-151342.jpe  
Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM

It looks like an ordinary low-shank attachment - you can buy attachment sets pretty cheap on eBay. :)

Here's a set that should work just fine with this machine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280581925158
Old 01-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Here is a picture of the sewing machine. Sorry it took so long, had problems with my computer and had to take pic with my phone and then go into town so I could email the picture back to me (I don't get cell service at my house.) LOL
Is the foot that is on the machine now a snap on foot? The old Brother that I had took the very common low shank. Any low shank from any machine worked on mine. Do you have an other older machines? They were usually pretty interchangable back then.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
So, I like trying to track these kinds of things down...

I believe that machine takes class 15 metal bobbins - here are 2 places (there are more) that confirm this and will also sell them to you - does your bobbin look like this?

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bob...l-10-pack.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Bobbins-Broth...item3f05e27860

Can't locate a free manual anywhere..

Hope this helps a bit.
You can purchase the bobbins at JoAnns with your 40 or 50% off coupon. They aren't that expensive.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM

The machine is now packed in her car. She leaves tomorrow morning at 3 a.m. so she can get back to Idaho from California. I will have her check it when she unpacks it up at school. (I wish I could sneak in her car and go with her--but she has too much stuff!)