Question about presser foots

Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM

Talking Question about presser foots

Newbie here ... I hope to get some direction on how I'm thinking.

When I learned to quilt many years ago, I was using mom's old Kenmore machine. It was a beautiful ancient machine and so easy to work with. I remember how I would change the presser foot by pulling a little lever on the back and it would plop off, and I could easily attach a button-hole foot or any of the 5 or 6 various feetsies that came with the machine.

I still have this machine but unfortunately one day I dropped the gas pedal and broke the edge off, so no power. This was Christmas two years ago and my wonderful Hubby bought me a brand new machine for Christmas that year. I have worked on it since then and love sewing with it but recently when I took up quilting again, I realize the presser foot is "different".

It doesn't simply eject the foot to change for another one, and the only other foot I received with the machine is a button-hole doohickey. For the life of me I can't figure out how that foot comes off!

As long as I am quilting with low loft batting and thin fabrics I am getting along well but now my curiosity is burning. Am I going to be forced into buying a fancy Quilting Machine in order to dig deep into my Quilt Love? and YES I looked for the manual but it didn't come with one, just a link to a PDF online of "How To Sew" ... and I have searched all over the internetz for information about this machine but have found nothing... What am I doing wrong?

(and yes, if some wise expert said, "Hey Stefuny you need to buy a fancy-schmancy quilting machine," I wouldn't be too disappointed...)
Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Welcome Stefuny!
Can you take a picture of your presser foot? Usually there's a round thumb screw on the side of the foot that you loosen to take the foot off but some brands like Bernina are different. New feet are available at Sew-Classic.com along with a guide that tells you how to determine which style of foot you need. Sew-Classic also sells replacement controllers so you can get your Kenmore running again too. It never hurts to have a back up machine (or 20).
Rodney
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM

The lever on the back to change presser feet is a fairly new invention. Singer started it in the 70s or maybe 60s.
The Singer version is a narrow steel snap on adapter with no lever. The one with the lever is more or less a universal adapter that all the makers use today.
The adapter is attached to the presser foot shaft with a screw, just like normal feet. However those with the lever type are usually attached with a slotted screw instead of a thumb screw.

You can get the lever type adapter and feet for it, along with the thumb screws from Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }. They also have an assortment of regular presser feet for you get.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 02-13-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:31 PM

Welcome from NJ.

What brand is your new machine? My Viking feet just kind of 'pop' off by gently tugging forward. My old White machine needed a bit more muscle when 'popping' the foot off while raising the presser foot lever. My vintage Singers have the thumb screw that Rodney mentions. Perhaps if we know which machine you have we can better help you.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:32 AM

It never hurts to have a back up machine (or 20).
Rodney

Or even 30, or 40 or maybe even 50. Good Day
Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 AM

If you have the deep pockets, and the wish, go for a Gammill--but be prepared for a long learning session. If you are happy with your quilting efforts on your current home sewing machine, so be it. I can't figure out what your problem is with the presser feet, but it looks like some of the other folks here might be of some help. Just go slow and easy, and keep that thought in your mind when you do get that "aha" moment.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 AM

stefuny,

The foot controller (gas pedal) is easily replaced. You can get them at many places. I usually shop at Sew-Classic and have bought several from them. Easy as can be to replace the broken one.

Joe