Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about Vintage Needles >

Question about Vintage Needles

Question about Vintage Needles

Old 01-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Candace,

I found the needle I have that's marked 1/2. It's in a Susan Bates needle tube for 40-60 thread.
I compared it to a new Schmetz Universal size 14 and the comparison is exactly like your pics.

1/2 has a grove on the rounded side of the shank all the way up to the round part.
Schmetz grove stops at the beginning of the taper.

1/2 has a grove on the scarf side
Schmetz has a scarf on that side

Overall length is the same

The eye on the 1/2 needle is a bit lower ( closer to the point ) than the Schmetz.

For my machines, not enough difference to cause a problem. But could the tapered top of the Schmetz allow it to seat deeper into the needle bar? If so that could exacerbate the difference in the eye location and that could cause a skipped stitch.

Joe
I've never heard of Susan Bates needles, so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Thanks, Joe.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM

1/2 is the needle size....not the needle system. The older sizing system when needle sizes were 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5....instead of 9, 11, 14, 16 etc. I've got 1/2's for several machines...different needle systems.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Very interesting...so basically I'm going to have to stick to vintage needles for this machine? That's not great news:< But, yes that makes sense as the non scarf needle works perfectly. Thanks, Cathy.
I thought she was saying the opposite: Don't use an old needle in a new machine but new needles are OK for old machines.

Last edited by manicmike; 01-26-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I thought she was saying the opposite: Don't use an old needle in a new machine but new needles are OK for old machines.
Umm, I think she said that a newer needle with scarf can cause skipped stitches in some vintage machines. So, I need old, non scarf needles with this machine. I have a SS machine, so the scarf is creating too much space and skipped stitches. I've not had a problem with other vintage machines but this Bell has an interesting drop in bobbin assembly and it's one of those that does not like new needles.