A question about a White 1762

Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM

Default A question about a White 1762

I recently bought a White 1762. I've downloaded the manual from Singer, but it doesn't answer a question I have. One of the control levers is marked "B D M" but nothing addresses what these stand for. I have figured out that the "B" setting is a blind hem stitch. (When it sewed, it was pretty obvious.) The "M" setting, according to the manual, is for embroidery - it's a zigzag stitch. (Does "M" mean Mbroidery?" At one point the manual says to set the lever to "C" to use cams. Well, this one doesn't have any cams, but why does it say "D" instead of "C?"

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate any information.

By the way, it's a great little machine, built like a tank. The only thing is, I didn't know it was going to be a left-homing needle. I got it cheap (no cams, only a zigzag foot, one bobbin, and it needed cleaning), I may end up donating it to the next charity that posts under "Wanted" on Craigslist.

Tate
Old 12-09-2015, 04:31 AM

Would it mean "darn". People back then never threw anything out, just mend and darn it back into use. I'm really guessing here.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 AM

M usually stands for "manual" which means no automatic settings. Normally that is what you set it for when you are going to control the stitch width and length yourself. So basic sewing and zigzag. Keep in mind, back then "embroidery" was done using one of those two - and not a programmed or cam driven stitch. When D is used for "darning" it is most often a feed dog setting, as you would lower the feed dogs for darning. I've got several machines that have "darn" as one of the setting for the feed dogs (Darn, Silk, Normal).

D could easily stand for DISK - as very often they are referred as pattern disks instead of pattern cams.

Sounds like you have a machine that takes disks, and has one built in stitch (blind hem) along with the manual(zigzag). Remember, zigzag width set at 0 is a straight stitch, so on these machines, straight stitch is a manual zigzag setting.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:38 AM

Macybaby, I think you're right. Although the manual refers to them as cams, not disks. Also, in the instructions for straight stitching, the manual gives no indication as to where the lever should be set. But it does say to set the width lever to zero.

Tate
Old 12-09-2015, 10:44 AM

With my japanese made White - I can set the needle LRC for straight stitch, depending on where I want it. I can do the same for zigzag.

If a machine is left homing, then you won't have that, and everything is based off the left side.

Sometimes manuals were written by the Factory to meet the machine, and since they produced similar machines for different companies, some of the details aren't exactly the same.

I had one manual for a early Japanese made machine, and it was obvious it was written in Japanese and translated to English. The phrasing was not correct by English usage, but you could still figure out what was meant.

hmmm- since your machine does not take cams, maybe it's D for "disabled" since it does not appear to do anything. It does sound like your manual may not be the exact one for your machine. I've found that on the Singer site- if the model was updated, they won't have manuals for the different variations.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-09-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Do you have the correct model number? Everything I look up indicates that model is for a machine that takes cams.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:01 AM

hehehe - the manual clearly shows the Machine with the label BDM - but the manual says to set it to "C" for cams LOL!!

So I think it's suppose to be D for Disc, but got mixed up in translation. I'm gonna dig out my manual.

In mine, it refers to the cams as Discs, Though my lever only has M for manual and A for Automatic (using discs).
Old 12-09-2015, 04:25 PM

Macybaby, I didn't say it didn't take cams, I said it had no cams. I believe this was made in the US, and the manual (off the Singer site) seems to be written for this model.

Tate
Old 12-10-2015, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I have almost the same mystery. I have an Electro Grand machine with missing disks. I'm thinking it may have been made by Brother. It has a BOM select but maybe it is a D... With out the disks I'm not sure how to figure all of it out either. Button hole, darn, manual? Button hole, disk, manual? Mine has no built in button hole stuff behind that BOM selection... Maybe it is some other language? I think I set that one on a shelf somewhere and forgot about it while it waits for some disks. I'm thinking it works ok otherwise.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:43 AM

Miriam, The "B" is for blind hem, at least it is on mine.

Tate