Question and comments

Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Hey Billie and others who may be interested. . . First a question, Will the same procedure and PRODUCTS work okay for cleaning the Singer 185K? Didn't know if any different care is needed because of the green paint?

Also, I bought a Singer class 15 with a potted motor today. . . it actually sews a nice stitch, but I want to learn more about it. It definitely needs some cleanup, and am anxious to clean it, but think I'll practice on the 185 first since it's missing some parts. I can learn on these two before I try anything with my fw.

I also saw a Rocketeer today and a 403. They were each in a cabinet and were very dirty.They both of them sounded rough, (begging for oil) but made a good stitch on fabric.

I like the photos of the ones I see cleaned up, but it was hard to get excited about them as they are, but probably worth the price. They were priced (negotioable) at $35.00 ea. with cabinet. What you guys think? I'm on my way to look at another "old black one in cabinet" (the lady's description).

Are there any "BUG REPELLENTS" for this problem once it begins? Oh.h.h.h.h.h.h.h. N..o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.

Brenda C

Everyone is so great. I, like so many of you have learned a ton, just can't get enough info fast enough!! And am headed for frustration if I don't stop bringing home machines before I can get something accomplished with them.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:14 PM

You are bitten! Sounds like you have found a great treasure trove.

Billy and others are experts but I believe you can use all the same products on the green machines.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
I like the photos of the ones I see cleaned up, but it was hard to get excited about them as they are, but probably worth the price. They were priced (negotioable) at $35.00 ea. with cabinet. What you guys think? I'm on my way to look at another "old black one in cabinet" (the lady's description).
Hey Brenda... how are you finding so many cool machines? Got any tips? In the last 3 days, I've hit 2 antique places (who put their noses in the air when I asked - We DON'T accept sewing machines for resale/sale"), 5 Thrift shops, 2 sewing stores, 1 quilt shop, 2 Goodwills and a Goodwill Boutique, called the salvation army store, asked neighbors and church ladies. I've rechecked Craigs lists all over the state, called and emailed those having garage sales...

What else? Do I need to move to where you are??? possibly!!! lol ! For $35 I'd get the Rocketeer. I don't know about the 401, since I know nothing about those (yet!).
Old 01-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Are there any "BUG REPELLENTS" for this problem once it begins? Oh.h.h.h.h.h.h.h. N..o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.

Brenda C
Hey! That's a great idea.....hahahaha!

I would buy those 2 machines that you mentioned. (Craigslist is my friend....lol) I got a Rocketeer in a nice cabinet for $50 and was very happy about it because I think it's a cool looking machine. I don't know about the 401, yet :mrgreen: , but I love the 301's and I would think the 401 is somewhat similar--it can probably do a few more things than the 301 and if it comes with a cabinet----that is even better!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanx for the all of input, but by the time I made it back they were gone.

It only SOUNDED like a a treasure trove. . . I too, had already hit 8 other places in the county this week and after getting the "stand and stare' from them for about 5 minutes, they would say, No maam, we don't have any.

Thanx guys, "the hunt goes on. . . . ." Brenda
Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

LOL Far from an expert here but the same procedure and products will work on the 185. The tutorials I did are just a general synopsis on cleaning the machines not just one machine specific. Please post photos of it!!

Billy