Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question for Scotlass, Steve H, and Muv re. F&R >

Question for Scotlass, Steve H, and Muv re. F&R

Question for Scotlass, Steve H, and Muv re. F&R

Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Default Question for Scotlass, Steve H, and Muv re. F&R

Hi Scotlass, Steve H, and Muv, (and anyone else!)

I spent all day yesterday cleaning, Evap-o-rusting, and polishing my Frister and Rossman Handcrank. Still a ways to go, for she was One Rusty Naked Lady! The bobbin-winding business is still seized.

Anyhow, Steve very kindly sent me some needle dimension information just before I picked up the F&R a few weeks ago. However, when I went to the stores (several, in the garment district), none of them had -any- clue what I was looking for. They said those specs meant nothing to them. :-(

Steve had said "Boye 23 12x1" (What is Boye, a brand? And what is 23?)

Now that I have the machine, I see that the needle that was in it appears to have been a 15 x 1. Also in the goodie-compartment was an old 15x1 packet, though the two needles that were in there were BADLY bent. (The one which was in the machine was not bent, thought; just the two in the packet.) So, this does not necessarily mean that 15 x 1 is correct, and I don't want to harm this machine when I do get to test-run it, which hopefully will be in the next few days!

Is there anything more than any of you can tell me with respect to the needle size? Would a standard 15 x 1 do the trick?

I am fairly novice at all of this, I should note, and I know very little as of yet about needle specs, except that I do know that the wrong needle can do harm.

Very much appreciated in advance if you have any wisdom.

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 10-10-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

I am physically in the presence of Cathy from time to time, so "I" try really hard not to post needle stuff. (I'd probably be wrong, and get glared at) hehe however. Boye was a needle maker who used their own number system for their products. They made charts to show "If you have this machine, use this needle #".

This issue is that most every needle maker did the same thing.... Singer, Shmetz, Boye, etc...

I have a few of the Boye #23 tubes of 3 needles. I'll send you one if you'd like.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Thanks Steve! And that is a very kind offer, but maybe this would be easier: could you photograph a Boye #23 next to a rule or caliper, and possibly also with a 15 x 1 in the mix as well? Then we can see whether there is indeed a difference.

Or maybe Muv and/or Scotlass will chime in.

Are Boye needles still available to purchase, by the way?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Also... Today I am -finally- getting to a supply shoppe to get a tension spring. Presumably it is enough to bring what is left of the old one? (I did finally get it all apart!) If there is anything special I should know, do chime in! :-)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM

Oh wait, suddenly maybe I get it... I found this page:

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

On page 34 it talks about F & R machines. So..........

Is Boye 23 the same as -Singer- 12 x 1?

So, it would be a Singer 12 x 1 needle?

Here is a photo of the needle which was in the F&R. The other needle is a Klasse Universal, 70, which I took from my Singer 15 clone. They are definitely different.

Does anyone know enough about 12 x 1 needles to say whether the older needle is one?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]440580[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_6362.jpg  

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 10-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.