Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions about Dressmaker machine >

Questions about Dressmaker machine

Questions about Dressmaker machine

Old 05-15-2014, 05:49 AM

Default Questions about Dressmaker machine

I foolishly offerred to clean, oil & repair my sister's Dressmaker SS 2402. She hasnt used it much over the years (Mom bought it new for her many years ago). I guess I got cocky after reading how you guys just delve into any machine! I've been slowly working on my Mom's old Red Eye treadle that I learned to sew on (a long time ago Lol) & it made me brave! Now I've started bidding on machines!! Great! Anyway I digress. I haven't started on the Dressmaker yet, but she says there's thread stuck in the bobbin area which doesn't sound bad, but she also says a piece broke off the bobbin winder & now it wont work. I've looked on line a little but haven't seen much about these machines. Are parts available?Is it generally a very difficult part to replace? She included in a ziploc bag, a broken white very hard (from age?) rubber thing that looks similar to the little black tires for bobbin winders. I looked at the manual but the pictures aren't good & it doesnt look like there was a tire on it originally. The other thing which is cosmetic is her foot control. It has large rust spots all over it which I cant stand! Not sure how it happened. Whats the best way to fix? Sorry so wordy, but I want to get started this w/e & wanted to give some time for your wise advice! Thanks in advance for any help you can give! This board is fabulous!

Kay
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Std bobbin tire from local or online will work. You could disassemble foot control , remove the rust and prime/paint. Or even leave it assembled sand and touch up with brush and enamel.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Banned

when it arrives, take pictures and post them. we can probably walk you through most issues. We had a Dressmaker ZZ and it was a smooth running beast!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM

Oh great ideas for foot control! I was trying to figure how to paint w/o making the parts stick together!
Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
when it arrives, take pictures and post them. we can probably walk you through most issues. We had a Dressmaker ZZ and it was a smooth running beast!
I've got it already but need to get pix then figure out how to post! Lol Thanks for the offer to walk me through! Yeah it seems like a heavy mostly metal machine. Beast is a good word!!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM

New tires are cheap but they probably won't be white. Sew-Classic.com carries bobbin winder tires.
Rodney