Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
questions about a Viking Husq 21? >

questions about a Viking Husq 21?

questions about a Viking Husq 21?

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Default questions about a Viking Husq 21?

I have noticed a Viking Husquavarna 21 for sale in my area.

I believe these are the ones that have a true low gear, as does a Grasshopper.The Viking appears to have zig zag, and possibly other fancy stitches.

Can anyone tell me more about it? For example:

-how many cams "should" be with it?
-Are there any foibles to look for if I try it out? Any nylon gears to look for, or things that tend to break to look for?
-Are they big heavies, or light as a Grasshopper?

Many thanks in advance if anyone has any information.

Last edited by Cecilia S.; 03-30-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM

There are three cams - A B and C - IIRC correctly, there are four stitches plus zigzag on each cam, and you DO need a cam to perform a zig zag. Cams are about impossible to find without a machine, I've been looking for over a year now.

Check out the cams to make sure the tabs are not broken off.

Top thread guide breaks off on these easily

They are cast iron, so HEAVY machines.

If you need parts - you may get lucky if someone has them on eBay - or you buy a donor machine. We had four machines to get two fully functioning. And then easily sold remaining parts for good money. Also - there are many variations of the 21, we have an A and E, and many parts are not interchangeable. In fact, even if you have a older and newer 21A - some parts are different.

They are a very nice sewing machine, all metal gears and though not a lot wears out, the tension knob seems to be in a location where it gets easily broken. We sold one tensioner for $50 and they guy was every so happy to get it too.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM

I have a 21 and a 21A. They are very good, sturdy machines that will sew through just about anything. I am fortunate that I have A, B and C cams. There is also a D cam available but it is even harder to find than the others. When these were originally sold they were considered the top of the line and sold for about $300 back in the 60s. Viking does not support these machines any longer and there are not many technicians who are willing or know how to work on them. Parts and belts are very difficult to find but not impossible if you are persistent. There is a yahoo group for vintage Viking owners which has a wealth of information about servicing, repairing, parts and a list of reputable, knowledgeable service technicians throughout the country that they recommend. If you are brave enough to attempt repairs yourself there is also a full professional service manual available there. These are excellent machines. I have even FMQd a King-sized quilt on mine. The low gear is a great feature and the stitches are beautiful. Good luck and enjoy. Feel free to PM if you have questions or more info.