Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201 >

Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201

Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201

Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201

My DGD sent me a picture today by email of a Singer 201 that she and her DH got from his grandmother. She is so excited..... only wish I were closer...... 750 miles is too far for me to go clean it up and get her comfy with it. So, she's calling me with questions and I'm trying to answer them as best I can. I don't have a 201 to go look at so I'm hoping you all can answer some simple questions for her.

I looked up the serial# and it is a 1940 model 201. I told her how to get a manual on ismacs.... She and her DH are going to oil it and grease the gears...... can you believe he already has tri-flo??? He's a good DGS-in-law.

It didn't have any bobbins with it so I'm wondering which ones to order from sew-classic. And I assume it takes a standard 15 x 1 needle but thought I'd better check with the experts to be sure.

Is there anything unique that I need to tell her about? It makes me so happy that she's getting excited about this machine..... Yeah!! All those years of working with her when she was little are paying off. I so wish I were closer so I could share in this part, too.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM

The 201 does take the standard 15x1 needles and it will take Class 66 bobbins. Get the good metal ones from Sew-Classic.

If the machine is a 201-2 it will have the potted motor. That will need Singer motor lube in the tube if you can get it.
The grease pots not only lube the gears but the motor bearings as well. I'm not sure what to suggest if you can't find any of the Singer grease. I've not used anything else on my potted motor machines.

If it's not a -2 then it will have a normal external motor. Again Singer Motor lube in the tube for that. Or substitute petroleum jelly.

There are two gears underneath. Tri-Flow grease is what I use there, but either Singer Lube will work on them.

I've not had the bobbin case out of mine and I've heard it's kind of touchy. So go easy there.

By all means get a manual for it and follow the lube instructions in the manual.

I hope this is helpful.

Joe
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks, Joe. So, this one has a bobbin case and a bobbin? I bet she'll have to get them both. My 101 doesn't have a case..... you just drop the bobbin in. Like I said, I don't have a 201 to look at for reference.

Could someone take a picture of the bobbin area and post it for me? Then I'll be able to see what she's going to need.

I tried to explain a potted motor vs. the normal external motor. She's new at this vintage stuff so she's checking it again. The machine is in a nice cabinet.... kinda plain but very pretty. I like the plain ones.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

This site has some info about the 201 bobbin case

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

I just picked one up this weekend and need to get it in the house and see what I have
Old 08-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/201-2

Here is the info for the 201-2
Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brunswickgirl View Post
This site has some info about the 201 bobbin case

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

I just picked one up this weekend and need to get it in the house and see what I have
Rain is also a QB member. I love his blog. He does have good info - best there is!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the sites..... This looks like a drop-in bobbin.... not like the bobbin case on the 221 or the 15. I don't think she'll have any problem.... won't have to take it apart or anything. She'll just have to get the bobbins.

And, the picture looks like it's a potted motor. I'm still just giddy about her being so excited about this 201.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I'm still just giddy about her being so excited about this 201.
I would be too: The 201 is a fantastic sewing machine. I have one and my friend (frudemoo) just bought two - best Singer I have, perfect stitches and strong as a rock.
Bobbin is super easy drop-in setup, universal needles and common type 66 bobbins. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I would be too: The 201 is a fantastic sewing machine. I have one and my friend (frudemoo) just bought two - best Singer I have, perfect stitches and strong as a rock.
Bobbin is super easy drop-in setup, universal needles and common type 66 bobbins. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.
Thanks.... I'll pass along this information to DGD. I guess I need to be looking for one for me now.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks.... I'll pass along this information to DGD. I guess I need to be looking for one for me now.
Good idea. Oh, and the needles are threaded like a 66, from right to left. This is important.