Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions on Singer 66 & White Rotary >

Questions on Singer 66 & White Rotary

Questions on Singer 66 & White Rotary

Old 06-26-2015, 01:34 PM

I just bought a vintage White Rotary sewing machine. I don't know the year, but it's all mechanical and also beautiful. I've actually never owned a sewing machine before, let alone an antique!!! ANY advice is welcome from all subjects starting with cleaning, threading, resources, reading material, ETC!

Any help is welcome,
Thanks!
Emily
Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM

I just bought a vintage White Rotary sewing machine. I don't know the year, but it's all mechanical and also beautiful. I've actually never owned a sewing machine before, let alone an antique!!! ANY advice is welcome from all subjects starting with cleaning, threading, resources, reading material, ETC!

Any help is welcome,
Thanks!
Emily[ATTACH=CONFIG]523570[/ATTACH]
it looks just like this one
Attached Thumbnails white-rotary-sewing-maching.jpg  

Last edited by ehoopes; 06-26-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 06-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Congrats ehoopes!! I don't know anything about the older machines either but they are so pretty. Have fun.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by ehoopes View Post

Any help is welcome,
Thanks!
Emily
Needles, bobbins, and thread! This one takes regular modern needles. Go ahead and buy a pack of more expensive name brand needles like Schmetz or Organ because "Singer" brand notions are not always good today. The bobbins are not regular modern bobbins and have to be bought online. I have a pack from sew-classic.com called "White and Kenmore Rotary" waiting for me to find a machine that they fit. (We call this baiting a sewing machine. ) Buy regular thread on a small spool and do not jump right into using cone thread. These machines were built before cone thread existed. It is easy to get them to use cone thread once we know they are clean and ready to stitch but while figuring them out it is good to get as close as possible to the original sewing conditions and that means little spools.

The manual is super easy to find online. I am sure you found it already.