Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 170 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Blog Entries
    All the quilts I have just looked at are really pretty. Lots of bright colors being used. Keep up the good work.

Sew Extreme,
    Thank you!
    Some of the blocks are log cabin blocks, they were extras from another charity quilt.
    The crumb blocks don't really use a pattern. Here's a link for an idea of how to get started.

http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.
    What a great piece of history to have!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    It is interesting that they only knotted this. Thanks for sharing with us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    When I was younger, my Aunt used to come over for a couple weeks and we (the whole family) would tie quilts. The quilt was probably more utilitarian and meant to keep people warm. Plus the heavy fabric would have been hard to quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    When I was younger, my Aunt used to come over for a couple weeks and we (the whole family) would tie quilts. The quilt was probably more utilitarian and meant to keep people warm. Plus the heavy fabric would have been hard to quilt.
    That makes sense that the heavy fabric would be hard to quilt.

Blog Entries
    Monica, the wool quilt that I lost of my grandmother's was hand-tied.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
    OH NO!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
    OH NO!!
    That is why I was so quick to save the antique quilt. When I lost it I wasn't into quilting and I had no idea the value of it all. "Young and dumb," as my late husband would phrase it.

Page 11 of 170 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast