Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 17 of 159 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Blog Entries
    very thick and it probably couldn't be quilted, my aunt has a lot of quilts like this... my grandmother used to use everything to make these heavy quilts.. I love them!
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.
    What a great piece of history to have!
    It is interesting that they only knotted this. Thanks for sharing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
    I sew everything on my Singer 301 that my grandmother gave me 11 years ago. It's the only machine I have, and I love it. I hope it lasts me a good long time!
    Kristin, they say, 'if you be good to it, then it will be good to you.' Take care and enjoy.
    Good to hear! I'll try. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.
    That's a great idea to do with single pillow cases, Charlee. I love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    My mom would always check it - she would hold the fabric out to the end of her arm with one hand and up to her nose with the other... That was a yard.
    OMG thats how my mom taught me to check yardage when a tape wasn't available! How cool to hear someone else say that :)
    I was taught that too, and I still do it to see how much is in a cut piece. LOL

Blog Entries
    double post

Blog Entries
    This is a quilt a friend of mine asked me to make for them, as they are redoing their bedroom. She picked and bought the fabrics. I started doing the piecing on my newer Brother machine, but it started having issues. So, I got out my Featherweight, and believe it or not, I pieced 80% of this 104"x99" quilt on the Featherweight. Then I put the binding on with my Miss Ida 301a. They both did a great job, and it felt so good sewing with them. I loved it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    This is a quilt a friend of mine asked me to make for them, as they are redoing their bedroom. She picked and bought the fabrics. I started doing the piecing on my newer Brother machine, but it started having issues. So, I got out my Featherweight, and believe it or not, I pieced 80% of this 104"x99" quilt on the Featherweight. Then I put the binding on with my Miss Ida 301a. They both did a great job, and it felt so good sewing with them. I loved it!
    Janice, That's a pretty quilt! Awesome that you pieced almost the entire quilt using a FW. Aren't you glad you had your ladies to help you out. There is something comforting about using these vintage beauties. You did a beautiful job with this quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Why is it the plastic machines always are the ones to fail???
    Nice quilt.

Blog Entries
    Because they are plastic! Not worth a hoot. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
    Because they are plastic! Not worth a hoot. lol
    yeah and people think they are good just because they are new??? sure thing.

Page 17 of 159 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 67 117 ... LastLast