Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 11-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Joe, I almost never sew with a stitch larger than 2.5 on my Viking, which I think is about 12 per inch, but I'd have to measure to be sure.

I did do the flannel on the bias since it's thicker than what I normally work with. Most often I use it cut WOF (because that has a bit of stretch). Mostly I think it's just that I've got a LOT of practice, like years and miles of stitching.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
2.5 on my Viking, which I think is about 12 per inch, but I'd have to measure to be sure.
25.4mm to an inch. 10spi. I was forced to be bilingual in math at least - My dad spoke imperial, we were taught metric and he helped me with my homework if I got stuck.

I do agree that the quilt and binding both look great!

Jo, The way I've been doing my bindings lately - these are not supposed to be show quality, just utility bindings:
Set my guide up for a fat quarter inch, stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, mitering corners, joining the ends, etc. Bring the binding to the front making sure I cover the first stitch line by maybe about a 1/16", move my needle 2 "clicks" to the left and stitch the front down. With a 2" binding, I'm getting a nice consistent fairly straight stitched binding. It puts the top stitching on the binding on both sides of the quilt so it looks uniform - which is good because I've been doing small projects lately that people see both sides of. This could also be mimicked on a straight stitch (fixed needlebar) machine with an external guide that moves to the right "two notches" - or probably a little less than 1/8". If there's any interest in the process, I'll measure how much a "click" is on the Pfaff and figure out how much of an inch it is.

Or else this one is popular right now. It takes some adjustments if you're not using the Bernina foot she talks about. My Felling foot is a 6mm and my Pfaff lets me put the needle outside the felling area which ruins the whole process - so I can't just put the needle all the way to the left I have to play a little. The binding comes out looking very much like the way I described above.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 AM

Tammi,

I'll have to check to see if our Bernina 930 has such a foot. It looks interesting and doable. Are these feet made for other machines?

Joe
Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Bernina feet (the ones that look like a bionic leg) are Bernina only. Flat Felling Feet are made for every machine I've ever come across.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Very pretty quilt! Sometimes we get too involved in every thing being coordinated and planned. Then you see a good old fashioned quilt made with scraps and white to off set the colors and it is a relief to the eyes and just plain beautiful. Love it.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:51 PM

ArchaicArcane, your way is the way I have done my bindings for many years now. I some times use a decorative stitch also for the last stitch. This is a very nice way to do bindings and is not hard to do at all.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
ArchaicArcane, your way is the way I have done my bindings for many years now. I some times use a decorative stitch also for the last stitch. This is a very nice way to do bindings and is not hard to do at all.
I'm curious, where does this process come from? I just looked at my guide one day and thought hmm,... this is just simple math, let's try it.... I didn't google for it or anything but I knew I couldn't be doing something "new".

Oh and I fibbed. I use 2 1/4" binding, not 2".

I like the decorative stitches - they help catch edges you might have otherwise missed too.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM

Default Shoo Fly quilt

I just finished the top of a twin size quilt for one of my boys last night. It was done about half and half on a newer (1998) plastic Kenmore, then when that quit on me half way through, I bought a 1960's Montgomery Ward Signature, and was able to complete it. I actually have another top to put together for my other son, and hoping to finish before we leave at Christmas, as my Mom has a long-arm for me to use. Here's a picture of it with the machine (which I decorated because it wasn't pretty enough). Not perfect, but I'm sure it will be loved.
Attached Thumbnails p1040913.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:10 PM

I like it, I like it both quilt and machine.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM

Your quilts is very pretty, doesn't have to be perfect! I also like how you prettied up your machine, was wondering what Ward's machine that was that was so pretty, cool idea.