Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Bennett, very nice aprons and picture to remember them by! That quilt looks like reversible applique'? I made a couple jeans quilts, they are fun to make. I love the circles in yours!

Nancy
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Bennett, very nice aprons and picture to remember them by! That quilt looks like reversible applique'? I made a couple jeans quilts, they are fun to make. I love the circles in yours!

Nancy
Not reverse applique, just folded over circles. This is where I found the directions: Circle jean quilt. Not a really "cuddly" quilt, but it's tough.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.
That embroidery is so gorgeous. I'm adding embroidery to my list of things to attempt.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Muv

Irishrose - love the spiral!
Bennet - your niece is so sweet in her apron!

Here's my latest offering, which I've already shown on a separate thread, a sun ray wall hanging in rainbow colours. It was pieced on my Serata treadle and all other machine stitching done on my 1927 99K.
Attached Thumbnails muvsmarmalade-027.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Muv, that's very cute!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM

Very nice. I sew with my FW or 3/4 almost all the time. I just prefer them over the newer machines.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Last year I learned about Quilts for Kids, a group that gives quilts to kids in hospitals. If you contact them, they'll send you fabric to make a quilt. You have to provide the batting and the binding, although you can self-bind the quilts. Anyway, I decided to try to make one a month to donate. Their website says that they need quilts for older boys. And I figured out why - most quilting fabric is "girly" and the fabric designed for boys is for young boys. I was lucky enough to find some Carolina Panthers (NC NFL team) panels in a thrift shop. I cut the panels apart and used them to make a small quilt. The biggest mistake is the sash that runs down the center doesn't line up with the sashing at the top and bottom. Duh. I didn't even think about that. The camera changed gray into beige. This was done on my Singer 500.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]302423[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pantherquilt2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
Last year I learned about Quilts for Kids, a group that gives quilts to kids in hospitals. If you contact them, they'll send you fabric to make a quilt. You have to provide the batting and the binding, although you can self-bind the quilts. Anyway, I decided to try to make one a month to donate. Their website says that they need quilts for older boys. And I figured out why - most quilting fabric is "girly" and the fabric designed for boys is for young boys. I was lucky enough to find some Carolina Panthers (NC NFL team) panels in a thrift shop. I cut the panels apart and used them to make a small quilt. The biggest mistake is the sash that runs down the center doesn't line up with the sashing at the top and bottom. Duh. I didn't even think about that. The camera changed gray into beige. This was done on my Singer 500.
Very nice quilt and excellent cause! Yes, I do believe boys are over looked when it comes to making charity quilts. I'm always seeing cute prints that girls would like for those quilts. I love that material that you found for this quilt.

I also love your avatar! I can see why you would like the Jetson machine, Singer 500; plus, their are fun machines to sew with.

Please post the other quilts you have made! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 AM

Muv--that's very modern looking with the strong lines and color. I really like it.

Tate--I've been looking at the Quilts for Kids, thinking it would be nice to participate in. I've had the same problems when making something for boys. I usually pickup fabric I like, which is fairly girly! Nice use of the panels, that's going to make someone's day.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Thank you both for the compliments on the quilt. I'm slowly making a stash of fabric for older boys - flames, sports, camouflage, etc.

Bennett, if you contact the QFK's chapter in your state for a quilt kit, when you finish the quilt and send it back to the chapter, the quilt goes to a hospital in your state.

Vintagemotif, did you notice - I photoshopped my avatar, his rocket backpack is a Rocketeer.

Tate