Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone, vintage, its not quilt/as/you/go....I used muslin as a backing the did the flip method...worked out good especially on the treadle. I learned to sew on the treadle...my MOM had a little sewing class for the neighborhood girls, she had two treadles and a huge dining room so I think that was when my love of sewing started...I can remember in 8th grade being home in March with the measles and making my easter dress. Had to have Mom go get fabric, thread etc but spent the whole week on the machine. I was really spotted but not that sick LOL...thanks everyone, lets see some more quilts....
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Muv

ShabbyTabby - the reason I use vintage machines is that I have never owned or even used a modern one. I learnt to sew on my mum's 28K hand machine which dates from 1897, and I started using treadles much more recently. It took me years to realise that I am in my own private time warp. It's a great place to be. I love this thread because I can see what everyone else comes up with.

Linda - love the quilts, especially the top one.

Last edited by Muv; 04-01-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 AM

I have several crazy quilts made from the same time and look to be the same fabrics for the most part. I will post some pictures of them soon for you guys to enjoy.
Originally Posted by miriam View Post
This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM

Haven't been on this site for a while and just want to say that all the new quilts are just beautiful. Everyone has been so busy making pretty quilts. Love looking at all the new ideas you come up with.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM

New quilts to show off! The first quilt was pieced on my 1976 Pfaff 1222E and quilted with a Viking Sapphire 875; its a flannel quilt, only the binding isn't flannel. This goes to "The Linus Connection", all the quilts are for in-need children and all quilts/yarn blankets stay in central Texas. The pattern is "Crayon Box" by Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com
Second quilt is still a top and is being pieced with either a featherweight or 1936 Singer 201K treadle. Just 2 more rows to piece (its hanging sideways) and I'll be ready for borders. This is for "Thank You Quilters", all the quilts go to Fort Hood Army base in Killeen,TX, the returning soldiers are the recipients; each one gets a hug and choice of a quilt.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails charity-quilts-001.jpg   charity-quilts-003.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
New quilts to show off! The first quilt was pieced on my 1976 Pfaff 1222E and quilted with a Viking Sapphire 875; its a flannel quilt, only the binding isn't flannel. This goes to "The Linus Connection", all the quilts are for in-need children and all quilts/yarn blankets stay in central Texas. The pattern is "Crayon Box" by Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com
Second quilt is still a top and is being pieced with either a featherweight or 1936 Singer 201K treadle. Just 2 more rows to piece (its hanging sideways) and I'll be ready for borders. This is for "Thank You Quilters", all the quilts go to Fort Hood Army base in Killeen,TX, the returning soldiers are the recipients; each one gets a hug and choice of a quilt.
Sharon W.
Sharon, I love your quilts! Your quilt for the returning soldiers is stunning!! Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 AM

love them.....
Old 04-04-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Sharon W.
Sharon great job on those quilts! I love the patriot quilt with some centers 9-path and some the same star as the outside.

Nancy
Old 04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsFOI...re=uploademail
This was done on a vintage machine!
If you find mitred corners tricky when binding a quilt, this method may be the answer for you. No fancy gadgets needed - just hairgrips and an unpicker on a new video by Muv
Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Muv

Hello Purplefiend (I always read it as Purplefriend)

Great quilts! I'm a great fan of Bonnie Hunter. It was after spending many late nights trawling through her website that I got back into quilting after not doing any for over 25 years. She is such an inspiration.
I love the classic look of the stars quilt top. Please post pictures of it once it is a finished quilt - it will be a wonderful gift for whoever gets it.

Miriam - thanks for posting the link! The corners didn't turn out too badly, considering I was sewing in the kitchen and either standing up or kneeling on the floor. Technical info - I used the quilting foot because it gives the best view of the needle on video, but changed to a regular hinged foot when sewing off camera. Sometimes if you use a quilting foot with thin wadding it has a tendency to skip stitches. I might need to post this on the blurb on Youtube, but I just wanted to keep it simple and concentrate on the method for the corners.