Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 82 of 171 FirstFirst ... 32 72 81 82 83 92 132 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Katfish, Clever taking the cloth calendars to make into a market bag. It's a retro-bag. Great way to recycle!
    I agree - I've wondered what to do with those old calendars.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I had another GS deployed so I did a rush quilt. AnnieRose, my 301, did here usual nice job. A simple pattern, but it was done in time to go with him and that's what matters. My soldiers need to wrapped in stitches of love.
    Another quilt for a deployed GS
    Irish, that is a very nice quilt! I love the bright colors! What batting did you use in the quilt - Warm and Natural, Wool, polyester? I am wondering because you said your GS just went around hugging the quilt instead of packing! You are a wonderful grandmother!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
    This isn't a quilt but it was made on my vintage 1960 Singer 15-125 sewing machine. This market bag was made to enter in the local fair this year. It won Grand Champion. It's made from a old vintage 1977 calendar.
    Katfish, what a cool idea for a tote! Wouldn't that be a neat thing to do for our kids, grandkids if we could find the calenders from their birth years! That is a cool idea for a baby blanket too! Wow, you guys inspire me!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    My Mock Cathedral Window Quilt. Made with used jean material, and leftover fabrics and batting from previous quilt projects. Decorative stitching from my Singer 224, piecing from Singer 201, and binding Davis NVF.
    Attachment 354752
    LOVE This!!!!!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Neat idea for a tote bag.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Irishrose, your quilt for your GS is nice. I am sure he will know he is loved.

Katfish, such a clever use of fabric calendars.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Katfish, great idea for a tote! I got a bunch of 60s/70s cloth calendars at an auction and was going to put them in a garage sale, but I want to look through them first now.

Been busy with life here, so not much sewing machine or quilting play time, but I did get one more baby quilt finished up just in time. It was all done on my 301, so this is the first quilt I've made with her. I had a lot of trouble with skipped stitches when FMQ, which is weird because my practice squares were so easy with no problems.

Scrappy disappearing 9 patch:

Name:  d9pbaby.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  149.2 KB
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Cute quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I had a lot of trouble with skipped stitches when FMQ, which is weird because my practice squares were so easy with no problems.
    Some questions to help you figure out the skipped stitches:

1. Were you using a sharp, a ball point or a universal needle? Our vintage machines were designed for sharps, although some vintage machines will also give you acceptable results with ball-point needles on knits. A universal needle is almost always troublesome - woven or knits, they don't sew either very well. Change to a new sharp when you start getting skips and see if that doesn't help.

2. What size thread and needle were you using? Too large a needle for the thread will cause skips - it makes such a big hole in the fabric that the fabric doesn't create the drag on the thread as the needle begins to rise - that drag is what creates a loop for the hook to catch.

3. Did you spray baste the quilt? A little bit of gummy build-up on the needle is all it takes to cause skips.

Hope this helps you figure out what was causing the skipped stitches. It's so frustrating to get those in the middle of a project.

This tunred out wonderful. I bet your friend loves it. It is nice to see what you did with some Morris fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by totosmom View Post
    I'm really enjoying this thread! What a joy to see so many lovely quilts of all sorts and shapes, and isn't it just great that they are all made on vintage and antique machines?

Here's my latest project, a table runner. It was pieced on my Pfaff 1222E and then quilted on my Bernina 830 Record. I went with straight line quilting this time and used Invisafil so that the design and the anemone flowers would show up. (Besides, my FMQ isn't quite up to speed yet.)

I made it for my friend Mary, so please don't tell her yet, OK?
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Bennett, that's a very nice scrappy.

Page 82 of 171 FirstFirst ... 32 72 81 82 83 92 132 ... LastLast