Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My 301, AnnieRose, and I finished another quick quilt. I'm beginning to think that may be my kind of quilt. Annie did her usual good job, but I found I cannot follow a line quilting. The FMQ border - easy. The circles on the blocks - terrible, but I finally just decided to just get it done. The baby will see the bright colors and later the trucks, not the quilting. It is brighter than the picture. Another one I like the back better than the front.

I believe that it is the machine that has a way of finding its new steward. Congratulations! All those lovely machines have decided that they love you. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your sewing projects from them. Enjoy!
That's a nice colorful quilt for a baby boy. Large uniformed circles are hard to do. You did an excellent job!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
My 301, AnnieRose, and I finished another quick quilt. I'm beginning to think that may be my kind of quilt. Annie did her usual good job, but I found I cannot follow a line quilting. The FMQ border - easy. The circles on the blocks - terrible, but I finally just decided to just get it done. The baby will see the bright colors and later the trucks, not the quilting. It is brighter than the picture. Another one I like the back better than the front.
Fun colors! The truck fabric is really cute. Either side is cute, makes it that much more interesting for the baby.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 AM

Do you quilt the sandwich yourself on a vintage machine or send them out. Apologies for strange language but in uk quilting is what goes on the sandwich.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Do you quilt the sandwich yourself on a vintage machine or send them out. Apologies for strange language but in uk quilting is what goes on the sandwich.
I googled quilting the British term/definition, which produced no reference for use in sandwich; all google searches talk in reference to quilts and quilting. So please educate the rest of the world of this UK usage for the word quilting.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 AM

I imagine what Dotty is talking about is making tops vs. quilting. Sometimes I've noticed we interchange the two terms as though they mean the same thing.

You all have been very busy. I have a few to post myself. But with moving DD to Cal Poly and all the whirlwind, I've not had the time to upload my camera.

And Dotty, though I can't answer for everyone, I've never sent a top out to be quilted and don't plan on it. I do all my quilting on my various machines. Longarmers do a great service, but if I had to rely on one to do my quilts, I would never be able to afford this hobby.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Dotty, I quilt mine myself, but not on a treadle. A 1956 Singer 301 with a 1952 waiting in the wings for her turn. I use the term 'sandwiching' for the process of putting the top, backing and batting together, but once a stitch goes in it's a 'quilt' to me.

Longarmers do lovely work, but 1) it's not in my budget and 2) I want my quilt to be all my work. It may not look as professional as one done on a long arm, but it's done by me.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM

Nice job!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Dottymo, Almost all of us here have posted photos of quilts that we have made from start to finish using vintage machines. I do believe MUV (who is from the UK) has posted one or two quilts on this thread that she pieced, but had sent out to to be quilted (very lovely quilt). But other than her post of that quilt, I believe all the quilts on this thread have been made from start to finish by the person sharing their quilts, shirts, or dolls with us (and all are nicely done). Some of us in our posting have stated which machines have done what work; for example, x machine did the piecing, y machine did the machine quilting, and z machine did the binding.

I make all of my quilts using machines in treadles. Some use treadles and/ or e-machines to make the quilts, while others just use vintage e-machines. Charlee has shared with us shirts that she has made for her husband. It's nice to see other projects made with vintage machines, like the dolls that Charlee and Trish have made.

There are some beautiful quilts that have been made that have had many hands (numerous people) involved in the design and development of the quilt.( none posted on this thread)

I prefer to do the work myself since I'm the designer of the quilt. I do all the selection of fabrics (no kits), figuring out the designs, piecing, sandwiching (front, batting, and back), basting, and quilting for my quilts since this is what I love to do.

Last edited by vintagemotif; 09-18-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Here's one of my most recent finishes, made for my daughter at her new apartment. It's twin sized and pieced entirely on vintage machines, mostly my White Fair Lady, straight stitch machine. I did, however, quilt it on my new Bernina. It's a very intricate BOM, strip quilt from my guild and my White came through with flying colors. She demanded zebra fabric on the back.
Attached Thumbnails img_8034.jpg  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Here's one of my most recent finishes, made for my daughter at her new apartment. It's twin sized and pieced entirely on vintage machines, mostly my White Fair Lady, straight stitch machine. I did, however, quilt it on my new Bernina. It's a very intricate BOM, strip quilt from my guild and my White came through with flying colors. She demanded zebra fabric on the back.
Simply stunning. Love those colors and awesome quilting.