Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 97 of 159 FirstFirst ... 47 87 96 97 98 107 147 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts made using vintage machines!

Dorothy, I'm about to leave for work (at my LQS! ). Will get some photos of the penny mats up later.

Basically, I drop the feed dogs, set all the dials to 0 and let 'er rip! I use the Machingers gloves and a large table for support. It takes alot of practice; I started out with small projects and things I didn't mind messing up on. The largest project I've done so far is a queen size quilt.

Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  149.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  149.4 KB
    Oh Jeeze that quilt is so cute! Did you applique' the flowers by machine? I have not tried to quilt anything with one of my Rocketeers nor the 401a! The quilting looks great - I don't see any puckers/folds! I would be afraid to straight line quilt without a walking foot!

Nancy

happyquiltmom, that is precious! My favorite colors, too!

Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
    The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
    I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.

Blog Entries
    What a perfect baby quit! Your flowers are outstanding!

Blog Entries
    Love the baby quilt pattern and the colors. Any new mom would love to have a quilt like this.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyquiltmom View Post
    Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
    The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
    I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.
    Well the mom who receives that quilt is going to love it! You did a great job with the satin stitch! I do machine applique' too, but I usually use the blanket stitch - I am not that good with the satin stitch!

Nancy

Nancy, It's not satin stitch. I call it buttonhole stitch, but I think it's the same thing as blanket stitch. And, it's done by hand, not machine.

I do machine applique sometimes, but usually use monofilament thread and a narrow zigzag. My machines don't do blanket stitch.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Name:  Uvpc4aYApnPImFlnwE_uX557xo2K_5OATYg-ItyYrgM.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  49.7 KBHere's my latest everything but the kitchen sink scrappy stars. I used up a ton of left over stars, and made some more, too. I store my finished tops on the wire so I don't forget about them, and so I can see the whole thing while I think about how I'm going to quilt it. Although, who am I kidding, It's usually feathers on everything. Laura

Page 97 of 159 FirstFirst ... 47 87 96 97 98 107 147 ... LastLast