Recipe for Thread Jam

Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 AM

I start and end my sewing with a small square or any shape of fabric. i call it a spider. Not only does it eliminate thread jams it also collects loose thread.
I just chain stitch. The spider goes first then the project or quilt pieces clip the spider and finish with the spider. I clip my work off of the spider leaving the spider in the machine for the next session.
Helenann
Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 AM

Well said, Miriam!
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
I start and end my sewing with a small square or any shape of fabric. i call it a spider. Not only does it eliminate thread jams it also collects loose thread.
I just chain stitch. The spider goes first then the project or quilt pieces clip the spider and finish with the spider. I clip my work off of the spider leaving the spider in the machine for the next session.
Helenann
My mom has made thread jams even with the 'spider' I think she is lifting the pressure foot and with the thread down it can be enough to make a mess... she is a master at thread jamming.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I have a question about this..why would anyone turn the wheel backwards???? the wheel always turns towards you...written in stone !
There ARE some vintage machines where you have to turn the wheel away from you - I have a Kenmore-badged White from the 40's that's like that. The motor powers the machine directly with a rubber friction wheel that runs right against the machine's handwheel instead of via a belt, and that makes it go "backwards".

I've used that machine just enough that now I've broken my "always turn it towards you" habit and I get all confused now!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Tammi, I was being sarcastic about the plastic wonders... I know they can jam same as anything else. Most problems with machines are user error of some sort. I thought about making this whole thread sarcastic (I leave that for CD to rewrite or make into a poem) and it would have been very easy but I realize there are beginner sewing machine operators that really do need some tips. It IS hard to remember everything - I still make thread nests. Mom REALLY makes thread nests. I don't know if chewing gum would help with concentration or make it worse... maybe chocolate? And yes some machines need longer tail thread than others - you are right leave enough tail or give the machine a turn while holding on to the tails before putting fabric in. I was hoping other people would chime in with things I forgot.
I knew you were. I thought I'd reassure people who'd managed to do it anyway on a plastic wonder. Some of the plastic wonders I work on are 5 figure machines and "they" have the same problems - "the tension's off", "it's making nests but I tried adjusting the bobbin tension and it won't go away" "I don't touch the tension", "it doesn't like x thread"....

Yesterday, I posted on AA's FB page asking if there was any local interest in a tension busters class. It would appear there's a lot of interest.

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
I have a question about this..why would anyone turn the wheel backwards???? the wheel always turns towards you...written in stone !
As Sewnoma mentioned - there are a couple of brands that turn backwards as normal operation. Also, the always turn forward is for a couple of reasons - shuttle machines - a long bobbin, boat shuttle, etc - will usually snap the thread if you turn backwards. Something about trying to send the anvil shapped end through the thread loop instead of the point end... and that's why it was drilled into heads. It won't hurt a machine, just mess up your work. In fact, I turn a hand wheel backwards all the time when servicing and clearing thread jams. If the jam formed going forward, it will unwind with the handwheel going backwards. Same when I find thread in the take up lever bits and around the handwheel.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I've used that machine just enough that now I've broken my "always turn it towards you" habit and I get all confused now!
I serviced a White of about the same vintage recently. You're right, they play with the mind! I was creating all sorts of havoc with my test sews.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:16 PM

After 38 years, you would think that I would remember the Commander needs a long tail. But no....... Everytime I use it, the first thing it does is un thread the needle.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
After 38 years, you would think that I would remember the Commander needs a long tail. But no....... Everytime I use it, the first thing it does is un thread the needle.
it is so weird how one machine won't be so picky about a long tail and another one will...

To me a hand crank goes the wrong way, too.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
Wow! It must be related to my Pfaff! Same thing here!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I've been restoring a Singer 201. I can see that if the 201 one ever makes a thread jam it will be as big a job as the FW to clean out. Sure sews nice though.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM

I purchased my adorable FW awhile back and sewed a little with her and she was such a pleasure to use and she has been unused since. I have just been too busy. I brought her out to start piecing in the evenings and guess what?! Nothing but thread jams!

Thanks for this thread and all of the helpful hints. User error, nothing wrong with my baby! YAY!
Tomorrow I will start fresh now that I know what to do.
Thank you Thank you.