Recreating this, only bigger

Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Recreating this, only bigger

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498802[/ATTACH]

The piece above is for the spool pin on my Pfaff 130.

The Pin below is for my longarm. I'm looking for a way to recreate the spool holder in the larger size for the LA so I can use stack wound thread on it. My poor little brain is not feeling creative and all it's coming up with are plumbing bits or hose clamps, and I don't think that will work and the hose clamps will look like a... crap and likely bite me on a regular basis.

Any ideas anyone?

It's mainly this piece here that needs to be recreated. (Sorry about the gianormous pictures. The iPad doesn't give you an option to resize)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498803[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Looks like you could make one from scratch if you have a drill and a tap and die set. I know you're resourceful Tammi

Alternatively, when I was in high school Chemistry the clamps on the top of retort stands would be a perfect fit. I can find these pretty easily in Melbourne in collectors markets so you shouldn't have much trouble. Schools are full of them (do you know someone who works at a school?).
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM

Tammi, shooting you a pm.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

At first I thought it was a needle bar with a clamp. Maybe a derelict can donate something.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
At first I thought it was a needle bar with a clamp. Maybe a derelict can donate something.
It's actually a really clever add-on that only Pfaffs seem to come with. My Pfaff 260PE had one of these but it was a clip on thing (even better, took about three seconds to attach). It stops thread from the big spools from twisting as you go, because they are supposed to be put on an industrial thread stand. I'm now thinking about buying one of those chemistry clamps for my own machines: A lot of the old thread I keep getting at garage sales is stack wound.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 PM

I've got 3 Pfaffs with these but I have 0 of the L-shaped extensions for the spools.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Looks like you could make one from scratch if you have a drill and a tap and die set. I know you're resourceful Tammi

Alternatively, when I was in high school Chemistry the clamps on the top of retort stands would be a perfect fit. I can find these pretty easily in Melbourne in collectors markets so you shouldn't have much trouble. Schools are full of them (do you know someone who works at a school?).
lol! Resourceful, maybe, these days it's brain power that's lacking. But the communal brain has definitely provided some things to try! Retort stands... I don't recall which ones those are, but Chem 20 which was my last chemistry class was about 24 years ago. I just so happen to have a retired chemistry teacher as a client though...he'll know where I could come by one.

ETA:
Ohh! That's a retort stand! We have Fischer Scientific here, they might be able to help.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Tammi, shooting you a pm.
Back at ya!

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
More likely one of the braces the shafts go through, but the one pin size has to be pretty specifc because I don't have the luxury of changing it out.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
It's actually a really clever add-on that only Pfaffs seem to come with. My Pfaff 260PE had one of these but it was a clip on thing (even better, took about three seconds to attach). It stops thread from the big spools from twisting as you go, because they are supposed to be put on an industrial thread stand. I'm now thinking about buying one of those chemistry clamps for my own machines: A lot of the old thread I keep getting at garage sales is stack wound.
I agree! I've been eyeballing it trying to think of a way to do it on the LA for Probably more than 6 months. I -may- have snuck it onto other machines once or twice too. The one here is pretty quick, just a twist of the screw. The clip is faster? What does it look like?

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I've got 3 Pfaffs with these but I have 0 of the L-shaped extensions for the spools.
I saw those L shape pins at SewingPartsOnline. There should be other places too...
Old 11-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

I saw those L shape pins at SewingPartsOnline. There should be other places too...
I'll take a look there, thank for the heads up.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:14 PM

You can buy one from HandiQuilter for $35.00 plus shipping. https://www.handiquilter.com/shop/ca...e-accessories/ Very spendy!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I'll take a look there, thank for the heads up.
my pleasure!

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
You can buy one from HandiQuilter for $35.00 plus shipping. https://www.handiquilter.com/shop/ca...e-accessories/ Very spendy!
I appreciate that link, thanks!
There are a couple of problems with that one though.
1. Shipping to Canada would probably kill me, and the HQ dealer here charges possibly 1.5 times what is on the site you posted for a bobbincase, so who knows how bad the thread holder would be. APQS has a couple of spool holders too and they're 2-3 times that, plus shipping. I just can't help thinking I can do this with stuff that's here, or at the hardware store.

2. The threads on the HQ one may not fit anything on Lucey.