Refinishing a cabinet?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 PM

Default Refinishing a cabinet?

I realize this is sort of off topic, but I have my mom's vintage Deluxe Zig Zag (Japanese branded with cams) machine and some sort of solvent must have been spilled on the cabinet and it took off the finish from most of the top, the inside, and down some of the sides. I took off the rest of the varnish and it's lost what I loved so much about it growing up with it - the sort of amber colored wood plank next to a sort of mahogany colored wood plank, both with a dark grain that really stands out. I have no idea the make of the cabinet, but I've seen other cabinets of the era and they have the same sort of coloring. It was before my time, maybe the 50s? Anyway, does anyone have any idea how to make it look the way it supposed to? I tried rubbing on different color stains where the changes occurred but it all pretty much looks like cherry. It's very pretty but not the same. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 AM

The coloring was most likely in the finish itself. I would like to see a pic of the cabinet and what you are talking about. The coloring could be in the wood with just a clear finish of shellac to give the look. Maybe we can help with a picture.