Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
removing shellac on a cabinet? >

removing shellac on a cabinet?

removing shellac on a cabinet?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Default removing shellac on a cabinet?

I have my featherweight cabinet cleaned and ready to restore. I've used the cleaning recipe and would like to remove the remaining shellac so I can re-stain and re-finish. There is less than 50% is remaining and some areas are sun bleached.

I tried using denatured alcohol and steel wool on the wood bin from the inside and as it dries i am getting a milky white haze. Should I stop immediately and do something else?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 AM

I've had good luck with lacquer thinner for removing shellac. It's a lot nastier to work with than denatured alcohol though. Use gloves and work outdoors.
Rodney
Old 08-09-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I've had good luck with lacquer thinner for removing shellac. It's a lot nastier to work with than denatured alcohol though. Use gloves and work outdoors.
Rodney
Rodney, I seem to have "paint thinner" and "mineral spirits" in the garage. Is one of these the same as "lacquer thinner" or should I go buy some?
Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Mineral spirits won't touch shellac. Check the paint thinner and see what it is. It may not be the same.
Rodney
Old 08-09-2015, 11:06 AM

I decided to run to the store and just buy lacquer thinner, so I'll give this a try after lunch. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Grrr....The lacquer thinner must be doing something because my rag is coming back with maple stain on it but I'm not sure I am doing this right. I am still just working with the accessory box that is in the cabinet so I don't screw up the outside. The outside of the box looks ok. The stain is still fine and the gloss is removed. The inside is getting gummy. I think that must be the shellac softening, but I'm not sure.

Rodney, I started with steel wool rubbing with the grain and then wiping with a t-shirt. Does it take a lot of work? Does this sound about right?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:04 PM

I always just use a gel type stripper to remove any finish....shellac, varnish, lacquer, paint. Then wipe down with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits. Most strippers remove the finish with the first application.....then if you want to remove the stain too, a second application will do that.

I NEVER sand a finish off....destroys the patina & squares off the nice age-rounded corners somewhat. I come from a family of antique furniture restorers & believe me, this is the fastest & most thorough method.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 PM

I know the shellac I've stripped didn't take a lot of effort. The steel wool and lacquer thinner should take it right off.
Rodney
Old 08-09-2015, 06:30 PM

I am so glad I started this with a part that is hidden within the cabinet because I haven't had luck so far. I tried half denatured alcohol, half lacquer thinner.

Path49, I'm going to let it sit overnight to dry and I'll give some gel stripper a try tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

I would use a combo of alcohol and lacquer thinner. If the stain comes off you can re-stain it.