Removing a STUCK clutch wheel

Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Removing a STUCK clutch wheel

The clutch knob will not turn. Old National deluxe rotary. Removed the set screw and the thing just will not come off!!! Any suggestions on how to get it off so I can clean it???? Joe, Miriam???? I may use Miriam's method with a sledge hammer. Some of the other parts on this machine have dried oil that looks like paint and is very hard- dried whale oil??? Any help would be much appreciated. Ethel
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Ethel, I usually remove the needle and put the needle bar down on a wood block, then hold the handwheel with one hand and use a pair of Channelock Adjustable pliers that I’ve lined the jaws with leather with the other hand.

If that doesn’t work the first time, I get my 24-inch Rigid Pipe Wrench out and lay it on the work bench. Then I try the Channelocks again, and so far, they’ve always came loose.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM

I have used channel locks on the knob, but not with the needle bar on a block of wood. Need some one to help it I use the big ones on the hand wheel. I will give the wood block a try. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM

I do have a pipe wrench I could try too. Might sorta mess up the chrome wheel, maybe I could pad it with some fabric.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM

Does it mess up the timing or anything to use the needle bar???
Old 11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat View Post
....maybe I could pad it with some fabric.
Leather is better. Old shoe, old jacket, etc.

I also find that gentle strikes with a soft faced hammer (leather/nylon/rubber) can "vibrate" the stuck rust loose.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NopahDesertRat View Post
I do have a pipe wrench I could try too. Might sorta mess up the chrome wheel, maybe I could pad it with some fabric.
I don’t know. I only lay the pipe wrench on the workbench to scare the knob into turning loose with the pliers.

I used a pipe wrench on the upper shaft of a Singer 401A once. Something had it locked up tight. I’m assuming it was something like a thread that got into one of the main bearings. The machine was destined to be a parts machine if I couldn’t get it moving, and even then, if I couldn’t turn the machine, I wouldn’t be able to get some of the parts off. Things looked grim.

I used a piece of purse leather wrapped around the shaft (handwheel removed), gave a little pull, and it came loose. No damage, and the machine is in use now.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-26-2013, 03:36 PM

Soak it with Tri-Flow or another penetrating oil first. Dried up or varnished oil can act like a glue and will jam things up really bad.

If you use the channel lock method, a leather piece protecting the knob is a must. No matter how careful you'd be those pliers would chew up the knob pretty bad.

Joe
Old 11-26-2013, 03:38 PM

Hey, Hey, Whooooo Whooooo, the needle bar on the wood block and gentle persuasion with the channel locks and I got it off!!! Not much old oil, I think the WD did its job. Cleaned it up well and put fresh sewing machine oil in it and it works!!! Thanks to all of you on this board!! Ethel
Old 11-26-2013, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info on a stuck machine. I have an Adler that is stuck good too. I have had it soaking in WD. I will try removing the hand wheel and the leather and pliers method. I figured to let it soak while I worked on other machines and maybe it would turn next time. Old machines are just so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!