Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Replacing a motor on a vintage machine >

Replacing a motor on a vintage machine

Replacing a motor on a vintage machine

Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Replacing a motor on a vintage machine

I recently came into a Thompson mini walking foot machine, but unfortunately it's completely inoperable since it had been dropped. I was wondering if I could use the 1.5 amp YDK motor that came on it on a vintage machine like a Singer class 15. I'm confused about the motor since it has a power cord that comes directly out of it and when I plug it in, it immediately spins at full speed. In other words there is no way to modulate the speed on it. I've noticed that a lot of sewing machine motors come with a foot pedal or at least a harness. How would one modulate the speed on the YDK motor that I have? Could I use it on a vintage home machine?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:51 PM
Banned

If the motor will mount to the machine you want to use it on then yes. You use a cord block like this - http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Set...143-SCE143.htm It has one outlet for the motor and one for the light. This is a very common cord set up for sewing machines, the Thompson must have had something similar.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 03-24-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

It is an industrial machine. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. It is still just a sewing machine. If you are sewing through lots of weight whether long pieces or lots of layers you will need a large motor. If you are just binding a quilt a home machine motor should be enough to pull it through. An industrial motor is best on an industrial machine. If you are needing a new motor, a Servo is nice. Industrial machines have the foot pedal in the table. Is that a portable industrial? Cari is right sew-classic should have parts and if you contact her she is a wonderful lady and very helpful.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:22 AM

BTW - What Cari showed is the cord without the foot pedal attached. So you can put the pedal of your choice on the end.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Banned

Miriam A Thompson mini walker is an industrial sized like a domestic and its in a case like a domestic. I have the Consew version of it which is why I gave the answer I did.

Cari
Old 03-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

My bad I think all I've seen of them is pictures. I did have a Consew for a while. I much prefer an older machine.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Sew-Classic.com is THE place to get your parts. I did notice, due to the tremendous popularity of the solid state controllers, they are out of stock, but they have he wires for your machine. You may no want to replace your controller, but if you haven't used the new style, you are in for a nice surprise. They don't get hot and are more accurate to touch than the old style. Some of the old machines (some 221s) have aluminum wiring that you may choose to replace with copper. Always replace wiring with any breaks, due to possible shock/fire hazard. Cari is correct. Jenny at Sew-Classic is very experienced and helpful. She stands behind her products and ships fast.She will have the solid state controllers very soon. You can always call Jenny too.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 03-25-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies everybody!