repurposeing a treadle base

Old 12-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Default repurposeing a treadle base

This started out as a cabinet I bought to use for parts - top was trashed but everything else was OK - and then I discovered these came in two sizes and I needed the older, larger size.

So several years ago I made a new top for it, with plans I'd use it for my serge. But that was before I started collecting way to many cabinets, and soon it got regulated out to the storage shed.

I finally found a good use for it. Yes, I know. . . and I feel sort of like a traitor as my 35 year old Viking sits on the floor now. I tried using the cabinet I had for the Viking, but the new machine has a knee lift and needed a shallow table for it to work. When I get things cleaned up I'll have room for the other cabinet and will have the Viking set up too - as the new machine is straight stitch only.

We had to take off the pedal, guard and wheel to make it work.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-25-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:58 PM

Whatever you need to use for your machine! How is the new machine working out, is it all you thought it would be or have you had time to use it much?
Old 12-25-2015, 01:03 PM

You are a very busy lady, with the shed and all. Hope your holidays are wonderful!
Old 12-25-2015, 01:45 PM

I've sewed on it for about half hour so far, and I still like it so that is good. Taking some getting use to, so right now I'm sewing at mid speed. Already LOVE the knee lift, but I expected that and it's a big reason I got a new machine.

I've spent more time today cleaning hardware for the cabinets in the shed. They are cleaned and ready to be waxed. I have to clear coat the hardware before putting it back on. I had hoped I'd be in for Christmas, now I'm hoping for New Years.

Once the stuff gets moved out, then I get to organize my sewing room. I've got a new table for it (adjustable hight) that is still in the box out in the Machine Shed. Hmm- maybe I'd better take a day off next week so I can have another four day weekend to get stuff done!
Old 12-25-2015, 08:58 PM

I bought that same machine not too long ago. I swap back and forth between my vintage machines but some of the features (needle up/down! thread cutting! on the pedal!) makes it the one I use most of the time.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:41 AM

I have more old machines with out motor mounts than I have electrics.... I have one stripped down beat up singer base... And one newer white treadle..... I would Love to have some "parts treadle" to use.. even without drawers and a simplen table ....one for each of my various size machine base. Oh well.....at least it is still a sewing machine table....and not painted white on a porch with potted plants on it.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:11 AM

That's so neat. Can I ask what your foot pedal is resting on?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:35 AM

karamarie, DH made me a base using 2x4's and a chunk of plywood on top. It straddles the bar between the sides. It worked out well as the machine is sitting a bit higher than I would be comfortable with, and when I put my chair up so I was OK with the machine, my feet didn't rest on the floor. The base DH made is about 2" high and gets my feet at the right height so it all works.

I'm sort of glad that this machine did not fit into the other cabinet, now I can keep that one and have the Viking set up to use, as it will still be my "main" machine for other than piece work. Will be interesting to see which machine I prefer for bindings, though once the Quilt Retreat is set up, I'll be trying out the Davis Vertical Feed for sewing on bindings. I sew all mine by machine.

I've been considering which machines will stay in the house and which will go outside. The big problem is I do have too many machines (and even worse, too many cabinets).

greywuuf- I sure wish you weren't so far away! You could come and pick out a parts treadle or two - I've got way too many and I'd love to see them go to use. Most are from that large lot I purchased.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:04 AM

It's a far better repurpose than many I've seen. Even better, I know you didn't destroy a good one to do it.
There are enough treadles out there with the wood so far gone that it's not worth trying to restore that there shouldn't be any need to destroy a good one just to make something else out of the parts.
Very nice Cathy.
Rodney
Old 12-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Rodney, the best part is with a couple of holes drilled in the top, it could be used as a treadle for something in a base. The parts we took off will be stored so they can be put back on if needed.

I still have plans of coming up with a portable, knock-down treadle base.