Rescuing treadles ......

Old 11-18-2015, 07:13 AM

Default Rescuing treadles ......

I've been watching a lot of You-Tube videos lately. It's nice to have high speed internet for a change.

Many of the videos are from the urban explorers that go into old abandoned houses and film them. Their motto is take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot prints.

In three of the videos they've shown treadle machines. One was an ancient one with the tension on top, complete as best as I could tell, and the others looked like Singers. Both the Singers would need major cabinet repairs, but I can do that.

I found myself in conflict on this, because although I agree on the no vandalism or theft part, I would not have left them. I would have tried to find the owners to get permission, but right, wrong, or indifferent, they would have been rescued.

Poor things, just rotting away.

Next time I run across a video with a sewing machine, I'll post the link. Hopefully that's OK. They are vintage.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2015 at 07:37 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Banned

sounds like the makings of a new show "sewing machine rescue - the series" This week we will be searching through old abandoned houses looking for old abandoned sewing machines to rescue and conserve for future generations.... now a word from our sponsor "Schmetz"
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I am a fan of a TV show called Flea Market Flip. Twice there has been a restoration on the base of a treadle. One couple made one into an interesting desk.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 PM

From what I've seen around here many abandoned houses are owned by the city, county, etc and they won't give permission. They're afraid someone will go in, hurt themselves and then sue. The houses sit until they're torn down.
Rodney
Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 AM

I lean towards saving them too, I even include the electrical ones in domed wooden cases. I'm sure those who left them would feel relieved knowing they were taken care of. It would be a much easier situation if the owners knew and agree. If a bank owns it and it's on a list of being torn down, there is much less reason not to do it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-19-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:12 AM

Go to You Tube { https://www.youtube.com/ }, in the search box type: urban exploration and you'll see things you never dreamed of.
My favorite urban explorer uses the handle "Tiki Trex". She's Canadian but has explored abandoned places from Florida to southern Ontario. She doesn't know anything about sewing machines though. I've watched at least two of her videos where she's passed right over old sewing machines without commenting on them. I doubt she even noticed them.

Joe
Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
sounds like the makings of a new show "sewing machine rescue - the series" This week we will be searching through old abandoned houses looking for old abandoned sewing machines to rescue and conserve for future generations.... now a word from our sponsor "Schmetz"
And Evaporust. Man, my fave machine owes her life to that amazing stuff! (Just a little testimonial ;P)