Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Respond if you have a Singer 15-91 >

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 AM

A 15-91 was the first machine I got in the 1970s when I wanted to try my hand at upholstery. I used it on and off for many years for kimonos (Simplicity 5685 [out of print]), the only thing I knew how to make. I've made about 30 of them through the years as gifts, refining my technique (French seams, interfacing, closure variations). I now have several 15-91s, in my opinion the most durable and forgiving machine Singer made. I hope I'm not straying too far off topic here by saying I also snap up the 15-125 when I see one; it's really a 15-91 dressed for the 1950s.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540572[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-15-125-025.jpg  

Last edited by Manalto; 01-19-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have several, I use them mostly to look at. I have one dedicated to FMQ, but I don't do a lot of that.
I have 3 of them,2 of which I just enjoy looking at and the 3rd one is set up for FMQ, but I don't do much of that.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 AM

I have one. I use it to learn how to use it. still haven't done anything more than run test fabric through it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM

I think I have about three, maybe four picked up cheap at thrift stores. I pieced a quilt on one of them this past summer and it worked great. DH is taking a sewing machine repair class in April and will be making sure the tension is good with the other ones before I sell them. They are all in excellent condition and sew, just need some tension adjustments.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM

I have one as well. I actually don't get it out that much, as my serger is on top of it. It was given to me by a friend who found it going out to trash in an apartment complex. It is in nice shape, runs well and has a beautiful stitch. I get it out once in a while because it is fun to use, and to keep it running. I've often thought it would make a good FMQ machine. Can anyone give me advice on what type foot I would need, and where to find one for FMQ? And then have you had better results with the feed dogs down or up? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
Can anyone give me advice on what type foot I would need, and where to find one for FMQ? And then have you had better results with the feed dogs down or up? Thanks!
I've used mine for FMQ and like it for that. Many generic low-shank darning feet will work (listings will specify the Singer models it fits); pick the kind you prefer. I've used a couple of different feet and sometimes I have to bend the post (that sits on the needle screw) a little to get the proper range of motion. I've always dropped the feed dogs and it works fine.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 AM

I have one that is a work horse. Used it to repair jeans, hem them...used it for production work in crafts.
Haven't used her much since I got my industrial machine...but will get her out for sentimental sake and work for a day....after giving her a little drink of oil.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 AM

I have a portable one that I got from eBay about 4 years ago. I haven't sewed with it much but it does sew beautifully. It's sitting on an antique sewing cabinet in my bedroom. I hope to use it more when I move it into my sewing room. I'm waiting for my daughter to drive from Colorado to pickup a couple of sewing machines I'm gifting her so I can have room to put the 15-91 in the room.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM

I love reading all the stories, and what they are used for and are going to be used for.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
Can anyone give me advice on what type foot I would need, and where to find one for FMQ? And then have you had better results with the feed dogs down or up? Thanks!
Any low shank darning/ FM/embroidery foot should work. It's up to you to decide what works best for you and your machine. I use a couple different darning(hopping) feet on various machines for free motion work but when I use Orphan Annie, my sorry little 15 class clone to fm quilt, I leave the feed dogs up, set my stitch length to zero, and (gasp! quilt police!) leave the regular straight stitch foot on her. That's what she likes.

Cari