Welcome to the Quilting Board!
FYI Steve, the WW No. 8 will sew without the glass presser foot insert. I bought my No. 8 from my OSMG. He did give her an oiling and did a stitch test. When I told him later that I found one glass foot in the drawer (the Plain Glass Presser foot), he was surprised. He did not know about the glass feet. Goes to show you that OSMgs don't know everything. Charlee bought a set of glass feet from Mike Anderson of Wolfgangs Collectables. I am also searching for the glass feet to complete the set. You can see pics of my No. 8 here.
Nice job Steve. I know I read on QB somewhere that you can make them fairly easily out of plastic. I bet it was Miriam or Kathy that was in on that conversation. Maybe ask them how it is done.
This is a wonderful post! Love the way you explain and also give pictures of the steps. IMHO restoration of these old machines is the only thing that will save them from complete disentagration. Keep up the good work! I would like a complete pictorial of these types of projects too.
Wow, a night and day difference. I have a #9 that needs work. I bought it for ambiance in my quilting studio, so I'm not in a hurry. It was in the same shape yours was in, but I cleaned it up the best I could.
Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
Boy, I like the way you have changed the looks of that old machine. really spectacular. I too would follow the blog of pictures on restoration of old machines.
Oh Steve, you should be so proud of yourself. You've done such an amazing job!
What a spectacular work. Thanks for sharing. I am french, and I found that it is only oversea that you are able to do such a restoration. I loved this post!
Thanks folks. I have been wrapped up in the acquisition of more machines. I should get back to doing the WW8 soon.
The main issue has been the screw that we had to drill out. Since these machines were made before the SAE standards were put in place they are completely unique threads/diameters.
I just bought a small benchtop metal lathe (Craftsman 109, look it up, it's a cool old tool) so that i can make my own screws and bolts. It should be here Friday.