Restoring cabinet

Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM

reading all this info about the finish and learned a lot. My case bottom only, was "antiqued" with white paint, then Brown rubbed over. I am guessing I can use the methods noted in this thread?
How would I go about fixing a hole in the top curved part? it's a puncture right thru, with jagged edges.
thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM

I went from a water stained -oil stain, wood damage, dry wood,to a very pretty treadle. I used fornbys refinisher DottieBug
Attached Thumbnails 035.jpg   036.jpg   040.jpg   038.jpg   042.jpg  

Last edited by Dottie Bug; 09-16-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Banned

DottieBug that came out beautiful.

Cari
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 PM

thanks Cari, I treadled a singer 15 1957 I think ,don't remember the year at this time works just fine I am teaching my grand daughter to treadle this weekend she is 18 an the nlyone out f 5 that wants to learn. DottieBug
Old 09-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mish in NJ View Post
reading all this info about the finish and learned a lot. My case bottom only, was "antiqued" with white paint, then Brown rubbed over. I am guessing I can use the methods noted in this thread?
How would I go about fixing a hole in the top curved part? it's a puncture right thru, with jagged edges.
thanks
If the top was mine I'd very carefully cut away some more of the outer layer of veneer, maybe the inner layer too to form a "stairstep" sort of hole. That will give you a surface to glue the new veneer to. After the hole is cut, cut out a piece of veneer the same size as the hole and glue it down. You may have to steam the veneer to soften it enough to make the bend. Clamping to the curved surface may be tricky as well. Strong tape might work. You're not going to get a perfect match on the grain so the repair will show, but as long as the color is close it will blend in fairly well and will look better than the hole. Once the outside layer(s) is repaired I would cut another patch for the inside to give it a little more strength as well.

Most if not all the Singer bentwood cases I've seen were walnut. There are usually sellers on Ebay for small amounts of veneer.
Clear as mud?
Rodney
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Rodney;6892544]If the top was mine I'd very carefully cut away some more of the outer layer of veneer, maybe the inner layer too to form a "stairstep" sort of hole. That will give you a surface to glue the new veneer to. After the hole is cut, cut out a piece of veneer the same size as the hole and glue it down. You may have to steam the veneer to soften it enough to make the bend. Clamping to the curved surface may be tricky as well. Strong tape might work. You're not going to get a perfect match on the grain so the repair will show, but as long as the color is close it will blend in fairly well and will look better than the hole. Once the outside layer(s) is repaired I would cut another patch for the inside to give it a little more strength as well.

Most if not all the Singer bentwood cases I've seen were walnut. There are usually sellers on Ebay for small amounts of veneer.
Clear as mud?
Rodney

thank you Rodney for the info will do this as you described...
Michele in NJ
Old 09-25-2014, 06:05 AM

Dottie Bug; that turned out just beautiful. Love all this info. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 PM

Dottie, great job!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 PM

I just had my kitchen cabinets refinished. My painter used a stain and a top coat/sealer/ whatever you call it that were made for wood floors. He said they worked well on cabinets because they were durable. I don't know anything about refinishing furniture, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Whatever you do be sure to post pics so we can see!