Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rewiring a 15

Blog Entries

Rewiring a 15

Is it easy to replace wires on a Singer 15 easy? The $15 one is calling my name, but if I remember correctly, the cords seemed old. Can I replace them myself? I couldn't on my Universal.

irishrose,

Is it a 15-91 with the potted motor? Or is it a 15-90 with the external hang on motor?

If it's a potted motor they can be rewired but it's more complicated and I've not done one yet. There is a web site that gives excellent info on how to wire them. I believe it was done by a forum named Rain (?) but I don't have his forum name or the link to the info.

If it's a the external motor they are easier. But you still have to have some mechanical and electrical skills. I've done a couple Singer motors and they still work so it can't be that hard. :lol:
    The thing about Singer wiring is they use either an external plug in connector block that mounts on the motor bracket, or all the wires are connected in a little enclosed area on the bottom of the motor. The connector blocks are a bit easier.

Did I help any, or am I too sleepy to have made any sence? I just got up a few minutes ago.

Joe

Here's the blogspot that J Miller was referring to - it's a great place to poke around, Lots of information.
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.
    Mug Rug #2 Swap
    Monthly Quilting Bee Block Swap VIII- My theme is any block of kiwi greens, tangerine oranges, and a smidge of deep turquoise and dark chocolate browns.
    2012-2013 Row by Row-Groups 6 & 7 ... 2011-2012 Quilt for Quilters Swap

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
    Here's the blogspot that J Miller was referring to - it's a great place to poke around, Lots of information.
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring

best,
    d
    Thanks for the link. This looks fantastic! I've been too intimidated before, since I'm not mechanically inclined.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking it's an external motor because nothing looked unusual to me. I will call my friend tonight to see if it sold.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    irishrose,

Is it a 15-91 with the potted motor? Or is it a 15-90 with the external hang on motor?

If it's a potted motor they can be rewired but it's more complicated and I've not done one yet. There is a web site that gives excellent info on how to wire them. I believe it was done by a forum named Rain (?) but I don't have his forum name or the link to the info.

If it's a the external motor they are easier. But you still have to have some mechanical and electrical skills. I've done a couple Singer motors and they still work so it can't be that hard. :lol:
    The thing about Singer wiring is they use either an external plug in connector block that mounts on the motor bracket, or all the wires are connected in a little enclosed area on the bottom of the motor. The connector blocks are a bit easier.

Did I help any, or am I too sleepy to have made any sence? I just got up a few minutes ago.

Joe
    Having taken Ray White's classes, I have rewired both. Rain's website has detailed info on how-to. I'd check that out before taking anything apart. Just my 2 cents.
    Stephanie in Mena