Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Riccar machine - SHould I buy it?

Riccar machine - SHould I buy it?

Here is a Riccar machine in a cabinet. Mostly I want the cabinet but if the machine will quilt, I'll use it. I can oil it and clean it up, and they are asking $80. Local deal. I go to see it in about 3 hrs. Any opinions on this purchase? Does anyone have experience with a Riccar? Is the cabinet worth the money? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    "When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."

Blog Entries
    My Mom had one which I inherited when she went to be with the Lord. I had never heard of that brand. Used it for years It was a lovely machine. I gave it to a granddaughter and the last I heard she was still using it (sparingly!!!!) lol.
    Landscape quilts and needle turn applique favs.Antlers,Ok

The machine is nothing special, but the desk looks nice. Could you offer 60.00? If the machine had extra feet/accessories, it would be a point in its favor. Just a thought.

I bought it. Solid wood cabinet, it was his grandmothers machine. I cleaned it all up, oiled everything I could find. The motor smoked a little at first but quit doing that, so I'm going to try fmq a block tonight with it. I tested several stitch lengths etc on scrap first. I like it. I'll post a picture of first fmq block I do on it, tonight or tomorrow.
    "When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."

I'm looking fwd to seeing it!

Blog Entries
    Please put a picture with the other Japanese machines! Here is a link: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines
    Riccar is not a 'badged' machine but it is Japanese. I have one I like - it isn't the same and it doesn't say Riccar on the outside - it says Riccar on the inside and New White Designer on the tag. Here is it's pic:
    Name:  2 Japanese, 1 Kenmore 1 Singer 99 009.JPG
Views: 398
Size:  131.7 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

My sewing machine repair man use to sell Riccars and he says they are rated as good an Elna.

Blog Entries
    Back in 1965 I had some extra money from a car accident and was looking to buy a new machine. Riccar was one of the ones that was in the running that I considered. I ended up with a new Signature (Montgomery Ward brand) which I used for many years, but I will say Riccar was very highly rated then. We have a dealer in Greenville who still sells them.

Blog Entries
    My DH bought me a Riccar(cannot remember model) when we were in Ca. Mine had the cams for all different stitches. I used it for many years. Made everything from men's suits, clothes for everyone, hats, rag dolls, barbie clothes, etc. When the Marines let Hubby and I loose, moved back to Tx. and couldn't find any local service. Traded in on Riccar vaccum. They work great, also! Cannot comment on fmq because I had never tried it then.