Rocketeer Slide Plate

Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Default Rocketeer Slide Plate

I have a Rocketeer and the slide plate won't stay on. It used to! We recently moved. My sewing machines were packed into my HHR and the trip was uneventful so I'm sure it didn't get jarred around too much. Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I have a Rocketeer and the slide plate won't stay on. It used to! We recently moved. My sewing machines were packed into my HHR and the trip was uneventful so I'm sure it didn't get jarred around too much. Any ideas?
I don't have a rocketeer but I think the 400 series are almost identical.
The slide plate in my 401 goes in from the needle side, like a 201.
If you already know this and can't get it on, it could be that the steel spring that guides it has moved. My 401 has a screw underneath the plate, on the case itself, that you screw in to loosen. You have to remove the bottom to get at it.
To loosen it, screw it in (I mention this again because it's opposite to normal screws), move it to the centre or where it will likely hold the plate on, and tighten (screw it out).
Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I don't have a rocketeer but I think the 400 series are almost identical.
The slide plate in my 401 goes in from the needle side, like a 201.
If you already know this and can't get it on, it could be that the steel spring that guides it has moved. My 401 has a screw underneath the plate, on the case itself, that you screw in to loosen. You have to remove the bottom to get at it.
To loosen it, screw it in (I mention this again because it's opposite to normal screws), move it to the centre or where it will likely hold the plate on, and tighten (screw it out).

Thats funny that that you mentioned your 401 because I noticed after I posted about my Rocketeer that my 401a slide plate won't stay on either!!!

Can you explain to me what you mean by the "slide plate goes in from the needle side" ?

I can put the slide plate on and it is flush with the bed of the machine but if I just brush against it, it will slide open

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 03-09-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Can you explain to me what you mean by the "slide plate goes in from the needle side" ?
You put the presser bar up, move the needle bar up and slide the plate into position from the back to the front of the machine. Look at the plate and you will see why: There is no way it can possibly go on if you try to slide it on from front to back because there is no groove at the front of the plate.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
You put the presser bar up, move the needle bar up and slide the plate into position from the back to the front of the machine. Look at the plate and you will see why: There is no way it can possibly go on if you try to slide it on from front to back because there is no groove at the front of the plate.

Ahhhhhhhhh! I will try that when I venture down to the lower level of the house. Thanks for the info. I will let you know if I was successful!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

I just replaced a broken spring - check to make sure the spring has both ends and is centered.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I just replaced a broken spring - check to make sure the spring has both ends and is centered.
Oh, maybe that's the problem. I don't see any spring. . .
Old 03-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

The spring is a two ended flat spring that holds the slide plate on. It is held on behind the front of the machine. The picture is from the back so you can see how the spring is attached inside the machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466517[/ATTACH]
The slide plate fits over the ends of that flat spring. To make the slide plate go on you put it toward the needle then get the little edges of the slide plate over the spring and then it goes toward you. I used a screwdriver to lift the spring a little - get one side in and then lift the other. Then pull it toward you.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466518[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails slide-plate-singer-500-005.jpg   slide-plate-singer-500-003.jpg  

Last edited by miriam; 03-10-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Default How did you replace 401 a broken cover plate spring?

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Because I just this moment joined the Quilting board, and did not read that you have to move 401's cover plate on front back to front, and because somebody I inherited a 501 from also did not know that (clearly) I now have two broken cover plate springs to replace. I can remove one from an otherwise busted 503, which I was also given. (I think I have sewing machine velcro on me) If it's fairly easy to remove a spring, that is. And to install one. Half of me is bold and brave, and half of me thinks, wait, I just busted my cover plate spring because I didn't know they go from front to back!

So--can you explain HOW you replace the cover plate spring? I can see the screw that holds it in place, so it seems fairly simple--if I could only get to the screw!

Samantha