Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
rolling sew machine totes on sale at Jo-Ann Fabric $35 >

rolling sew machine totes on sale at Jo-Ann Fabric $35

rolling sew machine totes on sale at Jo-Ann Fabric $35

Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Default rolling sew machine totes on sale at Jo-Ann Fabric $35

rolling sew machine totes on sale at Jo-Ann Fabric, $35 marked down from $85 or something.

My local store has a black & tan and a chocolate/aquamint tapestry model, so I bought one of each.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416126[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]416127[/ATTACH]
I thought they are worth what I paid, considering that a basic plastic case costs $30-$35 now. But the online reviews say the handles break, especially if you are using them all the time to roll metal machines around. So I am not quite as happy as I was when I left the store.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I have one Brother modern plastic machine, so I figure it can go in one.

What is the best rolling tote for a heavy old Singer or Japanese machine? I have or can make wooden bases.
Attached Thumbnails xprd11503661_m.jpg   xprd2265536_m.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM

Singer 401and 404 both fit in either bag, with height to spare. I'm not sure about the standard Singer wooden bases yet. It will be a snug fit, if they do go in there. The 404 doesn't seem too heavy for them. The 401 might eventually prove to be too heavy.

I researched cases a bit, and to get something better you'd have to go to a $100-$200 Tutto, or to $200 & up for ABS or aluminum hard shell cases, and I am not even certain that those have sturdier handles. If one wanted to put a lot of effort into it, one one could probably find a good carryon (luggage) bag, or some kind of catalog case, or a tool case or something, that will handle the metal machines better.

I decided to keep both of these totes because the price was right. I suspect that some of the broken-handle complaints are from people who picked up and/or carried these cases by the handle. Whatever. If they break, I'll toss them and get something else. They will work well enough for carting the Brother plastic wonder and the Singer 404. I got the Bro for free as an award, and the 404 with its cabinet and stool for only $10. I don't want to spend $200+ on cases for those machines, hehe.

Last edited by MadCow333; 05-30-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM

I had looked at them but chose to not buy one after looking at a couple of the ladies' at a quilt meeting. Seems the drawback is the fact there is not a regular handle to use when putting and removing the case from the car. I think that must be why the handles are not rated well. If they are used to pick up the loaded case it would put a lot of stress on them.

The search continues...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM

I have one of these cases from Joann's and love it. Mine has little fabric handles on the side I believe. I never pick up my case from the black handle in the back . The machine for sure is to heavy for that. If yours didn't come with side fabric handle maybe you could add some. I know you paid for it but they are really a nice bag to have. I love mine.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 AM

Several years ago I had finally saved enough so I could buy the large size Tutto case in purple. Its a wonderful bag and worth every bit of what it cost.
Sharon
Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 AM

I have the one pictured on the right. It gets limited use because I use it only when taking my Brother 6000 to a class. My Janome 6600 won't fit in it, but I take it only for longer times - like a 3 day retreat.

I also read about the handle issues with the case, but have had no problems. Since we're aware of the problem and have those fabric side handles I think the case will last just fine.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Yes, both of those have handles other than the telescoping one. The brown bag has them stitched to the sides. The black bag has two long strap handles, one in front and one on back but they are far too long so I think I would fold and stitch a tuck in them so that the actual handle part is right down near the lid of the case for more control, acting more like the handle of a suitcase. As-bought, those two straps are too long and they let the bag sway all over the place.

eta: I like the design of the Tutto cases, as much as I could tell from photos, but not their colors. Before I shelled out $200 for a soft-side sewing machine case, I'd look at wheeled shipping cases and other "industrial" and tool cases that are hard-shell, too. But that takes more effort, time, and money. I just happened to go to Jo-Ann last night at 8:30 and impulsively bought two sale cases. I didn't know I wanted one until I saw the $35 price.

Last edited by MadCow333; 05-30-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM

I have one from about 7 years ago and the telescoping handle broke within 6 uses hauling my lightweight plastic Brother and the usual sewing basics. I now just store fabric in it.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM

The one I got from JoAnn's has a fabric handle on each side for picking them up. I've had mine for several years and no problems yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 AM

I saw them yesterday and was not impressed.
The lack of a separate handle killed the deal with me.