Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
"Rube Goldberg solutions to problems of Minor Consequence" >

"Rube Goldberg solutions to problems of Minor Consequence"

"Rube Goldberg solutions to problems of Minor Consequence"

Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 AM

I like your solar power rig Jim. Thanks for showing your project. I haven’t seen a solar rig for powering sewing machines where I’ve been yet, but I’ve been thinking that they should get to be more common, with all of the solar technology available these days.

I use four stripped out cast iron machines for hold-down weights on my canopy when I set it up on pavement, unless I can have my pickup there also. Then I tie off to the pickup on one end, and double-up the machines on the other. We have wind here in Oklahoma even on a good day. Our booths are usually set up indoors at the venues that we go to though, and I haven’t set the canopy up for at least a couple of years.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

I would love to see a tutorial on the solar power for sewing machines
Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I would love to see a tutorial on the solar power for sewing machines
tutorials come from people who "know" something, I'll scribble together a wiring diagram, parts list and post it if you like. I was glad to get it together and working, as much for other things, like camping power, emergency power, etc.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

not my stuff but very interesting use of old sewing machine parts and other stuff:
http://www.conantmetalandlight.com/b...oducts/page/2/ kind of Rube Goldberg type stuff... what ever..
Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Interesting stuff Miriam. Better than most repurposed stuff we see here. Rip the machine out, paint the table white, call it shabby-chic and try to get $250 out of it. That or throw out the oak top on a treadle stand, nail a barn door to the irons and call it a table. There's probably a few people out there upset by the reuse of some of the items though. The ice tongs, blowtorch and fire extinguisher were all potentially collectibles. I actually kind of like the wall lamps made from the treadle legs. If you have one that's broken anyway it's a possible way to get some use out of it. Those guys actually show some creativity in what they do. I liked the bookends too and no collectibles were harmed in their making.
Rodney
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM

LOVE THAT STUFF!! seiuosly. gives me more ideas, no SMs will be killed or injured in the shooting of this move
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

It looks to me like the guy was using all of the parts somewhere or another. I won't object to that. There are things around here that could be re-used effectively, too.