Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rusty feet

Rusty feet

I've just received a set of sewing machine feet and accessories. Sadly they are quite rusty in places. I would like to try and make them good rather than throw them away. What would be the best way to go about cleaning them?

Many thanks.

If you've got a dremel, a wire brush wheel will take it off without scratching the feet.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Like MrsBoats said a Dremel tool with the little wire brush and Evapo-Rust. Then the oil to keep them from rusting again.

I've had to clean many of them.

Joe

Evapo rust seems scarce here in the UK, I've googled and found one supplier but the price is equivalent to $85 per gallon which is beyond my budget for this

I like the sound of baking soda and lemon and I am now wondering if other food cupboard items would work, like brown sauce, vinegar or coca cola. I might experiment with different products just for fun.

I know that white vinegar will take rust off of somethings sometimes, but other things it will make worse. So try it on something small and watch it.

Joe

A lot of the products in the States are hard to find here, maybe this will help:

We used this stuff, http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81756.../dp/B0007TQW5G
    The stuff is bright pink, so you know where you've been.

I'll dig up some pictures tomorrow to show the difference. Did it on a ruffler and some other attachments. The ruffler was rusty and almost seized right up. It's usable now, if not pretty. It will dull the finish, and you will want to oil it like others mention to keep it from rusting more. Some of the car people that use it say Naval Jelly protects the stuff they use the rust dissolver on. I don't know anything about naval jelly though, if it would work here or not.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey