Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sad Singer 185K at Goodwill today =/ >

Sad Singer 185K at Goodwill today =/

Sad Singer 185K at Goodwill today =/

Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Unhappy Sad Singer 185K at Goodwill today =/

Bless its heart, it was in a cabinet that wasn't it great shape. It only had one front drawer that folded down, and it was empty. So, no accessories with the machine at all. the machine was avocado green, and the light was definitely broken away from the machine. the cords looked ok, but the handwheel didn't move the needle at all. The bobbin was there, and the slide plate.

It was only ten dollars for the machine and the cabinet. I know that I could not have helped it, and I treated myself to that red eye yesterday! ( He let me have it for $25!!)

It was just so sad. Someone had to have loved it and used it, and now no one does. =(

I hope a Joe or a Miriam or a Caroline come along for it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM

They will either have to reduce it further, ie, free or send it to the dump. Keep talking with the manager and you may get lucky. What make and model was it. If it was Singer 500 or more, let it be.
If it is a good, old Singer then it may be worth it. Don't know of any army green machines, except, non-Singer. If an Elna of Pfaff, then it may be worth a whirl, but parts are harder to find. Probably need cleaning and oil to make it go. Look at Joe's posts to find out what to do to old, stuck, machines.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 09-09-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:27 PM

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html for manuals.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lara122 View Post
Bless its heart, it was in a cabinet that wasn't it great shape. It only had one front drawer that folded down, and it was empty. So, no accessories with the machine at all. the machine was avocado green, and the light was definitely broken away from the machine. the cords looked ok, but the handwheel didn't move the needle at all. The bobbin was there, and the slide plate.

It was only ten dollars for the machine and the cabinet. I know that I could not have helped it, and I treated myself to that red eye yesterday! ( He let me have it for $25!!)

It was just so sad. Someone had to have loved it and used it, and now no one does. =(

I hope a Joe or a Miriam or a Caroline come along for it.
Lara,

Where is it?

Joe
Old 09-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Joe, it is at a goodwill in NC. Not too far from Charlotte. *technically* Ballantyne. at 521 and Old Lancaster Hwy, if that helps.

It made me so sad . . . =/. Tells ya how broke I am that I just didn't get it just because. Ten bucks. =(
Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Lara,

Lots of space between Charlotte, NC and Springfield, IL. I don't have a 185 and would have dug into my change bag to get it. No need to send it to the dump. But I'm not there.

Joe
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Yes, I feel terrible about it still. I wish I had gotten it any way. Surely someone good will come along. Would they really send it to the dump if no one takes it?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lara122 View Post
Yes, I feel terrible about it still. I wish I had gotten it any way. Surely someone good will come along. Would they really send it to the dump if no one takes it?
Yep they would.
There is a thread here from some months ago where machines were dumped by a GW store right in front of customer who would have paid for them.

(I've looked for the dumpster at our local GW. They don't have one, they have a monster sized compactor for their throw aways. It's the size of a short tractor trailer. )

Joe
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 AM

For $10 I would have rescued that sewing machine and cabinet. Too bad it is so far away. But maybe that is good for me. I already have tooo many project sewing machines.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 AM

Caroline, our tens are different. Ten might as well be a hundred for me this week. =/. Especially after I spent twenty five on the red eye. I have already shorted my grocery budget, and my kid has a cross country meet tomorrow. That means extra gas spent in my car. And, it isn't a local to me Goodwill. So, I would have to spend gas I don't have to go back. And, hungry teenagers are *awful*!

I think I will call tomorrow and see if it is still there, and make sure they won't chunk it!

isn't it just depressing, in general?
=/