Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Selling machines for scrap metal >

Selling machines for scrap metal

Selling machines for scrap metal

Old 12-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Default Selling machines for scrap metal

I see lots of folks doing this or hear stories of vintage machines being sold for scrap and was wondering just how much scrappers get for a machine? I understand the price of scrap varies upon your area and the general price for that week/day but are we talking $1 or $15?? or more based on the weight ?

I know I offered $30 to a scrapper for a 15 in a trapezoid case and he jumped on it, so I imagine it's much less than that but I've always wondered.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Never scrapped any SM's but I scrapped an old truck and miscellaneous junk. I got 13 cents a pound for the truck 3-4 years ago and 10 cents for some odds and ends around the yard about 6 months ago. So a 30lb head would be around $3. Aluminum and copper would be quite a bit more.

Jon
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 PM

at todays scrap price, $3 a machine head would be about right. two years ago that same machine might have been 9 to 10 $$

I know of two case that machine went to scrap, both where done just to clean up that property.

I see items laying in scrap yards, that I know had the PO put add in C/L they could have gotten 100's of $$ for.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:45 PM

You can also call the local scrap yard for a quote on #1 steel if the scrapper insists the price is much higher. I'd think $10 for a head going to the yard would be more than enough. Hmmm, maybe I should hang out at Cumberland Recycling and buy up some SM's and antique junk on the way in.

Jon
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 PM

I really do think a in with the recycle yard is a smart idea. "I'll pay double the scrap value etc." may earn a few phone calls. It's sad that $3 a head is probably near the going rate. That makes me so sad.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hmmm, maybe I should hang out at Cumberland Recycling and buy up some SM's and antique junk on the way in. Jon
now that's a great idea! Lol. Besides we could tell ourselves we are saving these grand old machines!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Candace it's not much. Since I scrape the bottom of the barrel, I do end up with s..crap sometimes. I have scrapped machines. 3.00 would be for a heavy all metal beast...a Kenmore or maybe a Singer 15? Most won't even bring that. The ones I scrapped were half plastic types so didn't have the weight. They were stripped for parts and then scrapped. I can't imagine anyone scrapping machines to get rich lol!

I kinda thing the Hospice thrift in town might be scrapping them. I'm sure they are donated often, but I don't see them hitting the floor. I suspect they are tossing anything they feel isn't good enough.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:08 AM

$3 a machine is about what we got - they do pay a bit more than some of the other junk metal, but not much. These were stripped and what was left wasn't worth keeping around.

BTW - since I have to pay by the pound to take them to the dump (no pickup here) I'd rather get paid to haul them to the scrap yard.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I kinda thing the Hospice thrift in town might be scrapping them. I'm sure they are donated often, but I don't see them hitting the floor. I suspect they are tossing anything they feel isn't good enough.
Do they have Sutter hospice thrift shops in your area? The ones around here have little bursts of machines - they'll have none for ages, then suddenly five or six will show up. I asked about it, and what they said is that they set all their donated sewing machines to the side and they have a specific volunteer that comes around once every 2-3 months and tests and evaluates the machines before they're put out. (I don't think they really thoroughly test the machines though, I think it's probably more like just plug it in and see if things move and make sure nothing bursts into flame.)
Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 AM

I got very lucky a few years ago, my then son in-law works at a recycling plant and brought me a wonderful Singer 99 in perfect working condition that someone had brought in to the plant. It's an awesome little machine!