Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing machine belt questions + other >

Sewing machine belt questions + other

Sewing machine belt questions + other

Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 AM

Default Sewing machine belt questions + other

This machine came with a broken belt. It wasn't the right belt, either. I found how to measure for a new belt online, but not how to tell what kind of belt to use. My best guess would be a V- belt, based on the shape of the pullys. Is that correct for this machine?

Are all bobbin tires interchangeable? (some look larger than others)

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1160.jpg   dsc_1161.jpg  
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 AM

All the bobbin tires ive bought online have fit all the machines that needed them! Seems like most of the really knowledgeable people recommend the v-belts, but some like the cleated belt, too. Everyone seems to dislike the rubber band (round) belts because they stretch so much. I'd get the v-belt, myself.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:35 AM

If you can get a V-belt, that's the best. Those cleated belts work pretty good, but thy don't last very long, and they're usually wider than needed. They're less expensive than a V-belt, too.

We keep a collection of about 6 different bobbin winder tires at the shop. I believe the part number for the tire you need is #15827A.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Bobbin tires come in various diameters and need to be the correct size. A lot of machines of varoius brands take the same tire as Singer model 99, 66 and 201, but it is a bit of a chance to assume it.

For the belt, I lean towards a basic v-belt. I have bought the orangey neoprene belts (the same as Sew Classic recommends), they are correct width ( narrowest kind, the same as those with Singer part number), but on some models the luggs can be a bit noisy in comparison. They are good though, very solid and durable and should work well for most machines.

Regarding your particular machine, it probably had the same blue motor belt as the bobbin tire, but they aren't made anymore. I haven't been able to find white or beige either.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-23-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:43 AM

I believe the above part number might be transposed. Should be 15287. Inside diameter is five eights, Outside diameter is one and one eight and tire is one quarter inch wide. All black.

V best or lug v,both good.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:55 AM

I've measured and remeasured. The belt I need is 14 1/4 inches at the center of the adjustment area. Sew-classic only has V-belts and Stretch belts. Sewing parts online has a 14" and a 14 1/2" belt.

Which do I need?

bkay
Old 11-03-2017, 09:45 AM

The measasure is the outer circumferance of the belt, and Sew Classic has a pdf page on how to measure correctly with a string. I should really not advice you since I had to order three times to get correct belt for my beige Singer 201K23. There is a bit of room for adjustment but it's not much. Take my abillity to measure correctly into account, but I would go for 14 1/2 inch since measure is the outer circumferance, and I'm guessing you had a string into the groove of the pulley and hand wheel? I still lean towards the black V-belt when I can find them in the correct size, but will go for lugged belts when needed. Both types are technically V-type belts; and fits the groove as they should.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Mickey. Somewhere I missed that it's the outside circumference.

bkay
Old 11-03-2017, 01:50 PM

I was surprised to find a snug leather belt on my Necchi NA. Bet it didn't come from the factory that way.