Sewing machine for a class

Old 01-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter View Post
Singer 301's are fabulous! Easy to carry and will last for years.
They do! Mine has already lasted for 60 years thru my mom, then me learning to sew on it, then my mom using it for years and now me doing piecing on it. It only gets taken in for service every couple years. I oil and clean as I go and it just keeps on stichin'
Old 01-08-2017, 06:43 AM

The 301 is a fabulous machine. I've had mine for 60 plus years. It should come with all the attachments which will fit the slant needle. Mine has its own desk in the kitchen, but the computer shares space on that desk. I can even have the machine out and can use the computer set up behind the sewing machine with the keyboard in front.
I've had my featherweight for only about 4 years, but love it as much. I set it up in the living room in the winter time so I can sew while my husband has the TV on.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Screwed that one up!

I drove 25 miles to see the machine and it was nice. It has a regular foot, a walking foot, a zipper foot and the controller. They wanted $100. for it, which I was willing to pay. I offered her $75.00, which she said she would not take as two other people had contacted her about the machine this weekend. (It's been on CL for about a month.) I just said, OK and turned around and left.

I don't know what happened to my brain. I walked away and was fully willing to pay her price. There's something about it when someone says, "I have a better offer" that irritates me. I have no idea why. If she had said, "I really want to get $100.00 for it", I would have reacted differently.

Oh well. Sometimes, you shoot yourself in the foot.

bkay
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 AM

I know what you mean, bkay. I've walked away from sales because of attitudes. And who knows maybe in a week she'll contact you again. "Our buyers didn't come through and I'll take your $75." Such things have happened.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

The 301 would be the best way to go. At 16 lbs, they are only 5 lbs heavier than a featherweight, and pack a LOT more punch. They are gear driven machines, not belt driven like the wimpy little featherweight. You can drop feed dogs and actually quilt on a 301. The slant needle makes your work more visible to you, and the bobbin case is easier to see and get to, as well. I have two of these machines and LOVE them. Paid $50 for one, and $25 for another, at estate sales-- both in cabinets! They lift right out of their cabinet to become a portable machine. They have a flip up handle built right into the top, so you really don't even need a case while traveling if you are careful with your machine.