Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant? >

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Sewing Machine Oil? Sewing Machine Lubricant?

Old 12-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I'm not sure but I think the lubricant goes in where the motor brushes are, and the oil is for the little holes. They are not interchangeable. Please get more info from your manuel.
Please don't put lubricant or oil in with the motor brushes! This is a fast way to spoil your motor.
Lube or grease goes in the grease tubes - to lube bearings or bushings - which are close to the brushes - which transfer electricity to the motor's inner workings - but are not the same thing! The manual will help you distinguish between the two.

Oil goes where metal rubs on metal. Lube goes on gears - G for G. Grease for gears. The reason we do this is to avoid having the friction reducer - oil or grease - fling off and not protect the gears.

With the advanced age of these machines, it's best to remove covers and plates and oil the metal on metal spots rather than just dripping oil into the holes. This is because when these machines were designed it was assumed that they would go in for service from time to time and that's where the technician would remove the covers and plates and oil the metal on metal spots. Now that few if any go in for service, owners should take on the responsibilities of the technician as well.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Please don't put lubricant or oil in with the motor brushes! This is a fast way to spoil your motor.
Lube or grease goes in the grease tubes - to lube bearings or bushings - which are close to the brushes - which transfer electricity to the motor's inner workings - but are not the same thing! The manual will help you distinguish between the two.

Oil goes where metal rubs on metal. Lube goes on gears - G for G. Grease for gears. The reason we do this is to avoid having the friction reducer - oil or grease - fling off and not protect the gears.

With the advanced age of these machines, it's best to remove covers and plates and oil the metal on metal spots rather than just dripping oil into the holes. This is because when these machines were designed it was assumed that they would go in for service from time to time and that's where the technician would remove the covers and plates and oil the metal on metal spots. Now that few if any go in for service, owners should take on the responsibilities of the technician as well.
Good way to me to remember G for grease & gears. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

I hate to say how much heavy stuff I've cleaned off machines. You want oil to be slippery.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:44 PM

my usual reply as to what oil to use on any thing, has always been " as long as it's slippery "
Old 12-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

you want your grease to be sticky sort of
Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Thank you Miriam & 10xs. Lol, I'll be sure to get slipperiest oil possible.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:46 PM

Oh goodness, this is quite confusing!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

just go get some Tri-flow at the bike shop...
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
just go get some Tri-flow at the bike shop...
Yes! I've seen that name bandied about. I think there's a Triflow oil as well as a Triflow Lubricant and people seem to use the names interchangeably- even in the same sentence, which was part of my initial confusion. Thanks Miriam!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Alawai View Post
Yes! I've seen that name bandied about. I think there's a Triflow oil as well as a Triflow Lubricant and people seem to use the names interchangeably- even in the same sentence, which was part of my initial confusion. Thanks Miriam!
I use both. The lubricant for the gears the oil for the moving parts