Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing machine repair schools ? >

Sewing machine repair schools ?

Sewing machine repair schools ?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I had one out of the trash that was covered in leaves and smelled like some of it was dog poo... well at least I thought it was dog poo..... it was a 401G though...
You are so right... usually I see lint, broken needles, backward needles, tension that is maladjusted, sprung tension springs, dried up oil... etc. You do have to know what to look for though. And I have seen people's eyes glass over at the thought of sewing anything let alone maintaining...
I just repaired the bobbin area in an Elna - somebody put it together wrong. It sews beautifully now. Miss L sewed her first quilt for her baby sister's doll today on that Elna. I fear I have spoiled her for life. She was used to old Singers. That Elna can go so slow it seems like one stitch at a time. She was thrilled. What I wonder is why somebody took the bobbin area apart in the first place?
As some know, I take care of my parents these days. I taught Dad to use the blender so he can make his own smoothie when he gets up in the morning. We had success for the first month or so. Then yesterday he used the blender, made a smoothie, turned it to take it off the unit and the top came off but not the bottom... Yup a mess. He did it again today only I just watched him clean it up... I tried not to laugh or swear... He knew how to use it. He just had a user problem. He's ready to quit... Maybe that is how it goes with sewing machines. People learn how, get familiar, get comfortable and forget what they know to do? One little glitch and they are through.
*shudder* That one would have stayed in the garbage almost regardless of model. The thing is that if people wanted to learn what I want to teach them, they would know what to look for, and the danger of leaving stuff (broken needles, lint, etc) in there and continuing to sew. I bet the bobbin case was either so linted up that it wouldn't sew anymore or they got something caught down there. Took it apart and then it didn't work anymore.

I think user problems happen at all stages of the learning and using process and for all reasons. It just depends on one's frustration level whether/when they quit. Those are education opportunities though when we see them. And lost opportunities when a tech just takes the machine to the back, turns the dial, sits there for a minute or two then brings it back out.

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Cat barf isn't much better. I can't even hope it's something else. I have no excuses why those machines haven't been cleaned up.

Cari
Oh! That's awful, I agree! One of the cats hairballed on my ironing board. I've steam cleaned it twice. DH said he can't smell it but I can smell pork based home made cat food still and I'm terrified of hitting that with my iron! Rebuilding it this weekend. I just have to remember not to use that side until then.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:40 AM

Keep it up and everyone will be in just the right mood for Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

If my machines have any major problems I will take them to repair gal at the local sewing center. It would have to be real major because my 401 would have to be removed from the cabinet. I looked at a lot of videos on 401 maintenance and it works great. It was also owned by an interior designer who took very good care. It was her major tool for her work.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:16 PM

Although my mom took good care of her machine as far as storing it in the house and keeping the outside immaculately clean and unmarred, she didn't know a thing about maintenance. She once called me at work because her 301A was giving her problems. I did my basic machine-doesn't-stitch-right go to's. I asked her when she had last changed her needle, she couldn't remember. Okay, do that. She doesn't have another needle. Go get one. Then I asked when was the last time she cleaned under the throat plate. Again she couldn't remember. Okay, do that. Walked thru it and hung up. She called me that night to tell me that the machine was working so well now (of course it was. The poor thing was finally clean). Then she told me that under the throat plate there was a "little pad of felt stuff". OMG, I was amazed the poor machine worked at all. After that, I took it in for her and had it professionally cleaned and oiled. I have it now and it's a great little machine. Just needed a little TLC.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:39 PM

I had the same conversation with a client this week!
"Oh! You've been felting!" I told her.
"No, only quilting" she said (looking at me like I might be the wrong technician for her machine...), "This machine doesn't felt."
"Oh yes it does.", said I.
And then showed her. The felt was so compacted it was lifting the throat plate so the dogs couldn't feed the fabric.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM

This has turned into a great thread. My first vintage (antique) machine got totally taken apart and put back together. I didn't know any better. I was hooked after that because the darn thing sewed when I got done. The only machine I haven't been able to fix is a brunswick treadle. The stitch length seems locked up.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 PM

No, a Bernina dealer won't "void the warranty." We get machines in that DH has tried to fix and just made it worse, quite often. We still fix them. You can't go to "Bernina University," unless you're a Bernina dealer or tech. But, you don't learn much from PowerPoint presentations, which is what most of it is. Ideally, you could become apprenticed to an OSMG. I've been doing it for 5 1/2 years, and still learn something new almost every day. The new computer machines are a different challenge than the vintage mechanical machines.

"Bobbin Snot," is a great term! Yes, that's the main thing that needs taken care of in the shop. If someone brings in a plastic Singer, we show them how to clean out their bobbin area, and send them on their way. If we find a simple thing like the needle in backwards, we send it back out without a charge. It's hard to charge someone $70 to clean out their bobbin area. So, you try to educate the customer. But there are some that won't learn -- they'd rather pay you to get your hands dirty.

I'd say about 75% need needle plates and hooks polished. And maybe about 30% have timing issues.

There are so many things that aren't in the service manuals. You've got to have a mind that can figure things out. Or an OSMG on the bench next to you.

Sewing machine repair in a shop is pretty fast paced. There's no time for lookey-loos.

I do go to quilt guilds and teach a hands-on sewing machine maintenance class. It's a lot of fun!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:58 PM

I have a number of old machines have been able to get most working. Would it still be possible to spend a day with your husband learning the basics of sewing machine maintenance and repair?
My wife Rose and I would be excited to make a trip. She is always ready to travel for quilting stuff.

Thanks Dave