Sewing Machine Work Stand

Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Reminds me a lot of a larger one my df-in-l made for projects in his shop. We called his "rotissorie" (I may have spelled that wrong.) He could flip his projects very easily and work at any angle also.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 AM

Wow I am very impressed. It sure beats my upside down carpet squares.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM

Great use of gray matter
Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 AM

I am a little overwhelmed and very flattered by all of the kind responses to the work stand. I'll answer your questions here, as best I can, until I can provide some additional pictures.

The white frame is made from angle iron, welded together, with the two posts of perforated tubing at the ends. The bottom of it forms a tray of sorts, that can hold a baseboard suitable for the machine being worked on.

I've been practicing making the classic stepped cutouts in wood and have gotten fairly good at it. A surprisingly small collection of baseboards can accommodate most machines.

There are four metal retaining clips that hold the machine down at its edges. Steel is used for strength, as considerable weight and stresses are present. The clips have thin rubber pads where they contact the machine. Finally, a small piece of cardboard file-folder material is placed by hand under the rubber of each clip. This protects the machine finish from any gasses or chemicals coming out of the rubber.

Bolts go through the clips, then through the baseboard and finally through the metal frame itself, with wing nuts on the bottom. With everything tightened down, it is very secure and gentle on the machine.

The circle at the bottom is simply a platform. It is used when standing the machine on its end. I made it a ring and painted it white, simply for looks. One of the pivot shafts, that the machine rotates on in the horizontal position, is turned vertical and inserted into a hole in the frame at the center of the white circle.

The holes in the white upright arms are for changing the pivot point. I found it isn't necessary very often. Most machines have a vertical center of gravity pretty close to 3 inches above the bed. A very tall and top-heavy machine might need the pivots moved up. A very short machine might need them moved down.

For the outer part of the stand, I used wood 2x4 material, cut to various shapes and sizes for the feet, upright elements and a crossbar holding it together.

I haven't yet considered marketing this, but I'd be open to any of your thoughts along those lines. I'd probably need some help and advice with such a small and specialized market.

In the meantime, I would gladly help anyone in building one for them self. I'll try to answer any and all questions. By the way, I'm not on all the time, but usually I am once a day.

I'll add some pictures of what I've described above.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:21 PM

Great work stand.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:23 AM

THAT is really cool! Functional, and you actually made it look nice too! I like it.

I think you could definitely find a market for this. A small and specialized market yes, but a pretty obsessive and dedicated market too, LOL.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 AM

What a smart idea --I could use one too but probably will never get it.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM

I've seen larger rotisseries used in body shops for rebuilding cars.
I think you could sell at least a few. We're not the only group of old sewing machine enthusiasts out there. There's ISMACS and some yahoo groups that I know of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more too.
Even people who can make their own might buy if it's available. It frees up more time for machines instead.
I'm not sure what professional sewing machine repair shops use but there may be a market there as well.
Your rotisserie can save a lot of wear and tear on a machine. I know I'm flipping the machine I'm working on right now over a lot.
Rodney
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Love it! What a handy table. I would be interested in buying a table or the pattern from you. What is the height from the floor?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 AM

That is great, you should patent it.