Sewing webbing with a 99K

Old 10-25-2015, 09:56 AM
KLO

Default Sewing webbing with a 99K

I am pretty sure that I won't wreck my 99K in a cabinet if I try to repair my dogs halter with it but I need some reassurance. I have to sew through an intesection consisting of several layers and I am concerned that I could throw the whole machine out of whack. Don't want to use my computerized machine so thought this would be a good alternative. Probably need to use specific needles and thread also? Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

I'm reasonably sure you won't throw the machine out of whack. Go slow, and use a larger needle, a 14 or 16 depending on how thick the seam is. A 99 might be smaller, but it's no less tough than any other old Singer.

Cari
Old 10-25-2015, 11:31 AM

Give it a try, if it fits under the needle bar it will cope. I doubt you can get that man layers under the 5 millimeter space there. It can take up to size 22 in needles, handy for the unusual jobs with thicker thread and heavier fabrics. I bought an odd brand needle in the large size 20 and 22 (flying tiger or something like that), but since I have discovered Schmetz and probably others make them too, they just call them something else than regular type 130/705. I would go with a type of extra strength polyester if you need strength, regular top stitch if you can get tension right. You can get by with most threads if you sew several times forward and reverse, tripple lines with stitches or something like that.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-25-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

It should do it.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:43 PM

I meant pressure foot bar in the post above, not needle bar. I would expect any capable machine, moder or old would be up to a layer of webbing and short intersections of more layers. I have done a lot of small repairs and alterations on my old 99, back packs, laptop bags, sleeping bag straps, bonded nylon webbing is no problem for it, neither is cotton webbing. I can't say I tried many layers, maybe three in places. The humble 99 is not a particularly strong machine, regarding size, motor specs or needle torque, but for some reason it punches through with jeans repair, corduroy, bull denim, duck canvas, behaves well with silk and finer cotton. It's not the most silent when working extra hard, but it stands up to quite a lot.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 AM
KLO

Thanks you guys for all the advice! (Mikey2, I did realize that you meant pressure foot bar when I read your first entry.) Those dog harnesses are really thick heavy duty webbed material and I have to sew through an intersection that is three layers thick. I do have some jean thread and some appropriate needles (I think ... will have to check on that to make sure) so I will give it a try but very slowly as recommended. I did this same spot once before but used some other machine that the tension apparatus had gotten messed up on later so hoped that I could use the 99. Keep your fingers crossed ..... Otherwise I will probably have to go visit SteveH or ThayerRags. I am sure they could fix that harness up in no time with one of their heavy duty/commercial machines.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I am pretty sure that I won't wreck my 99K in a cabinet if I try to repair my dogs halter with it but I need some reassurance. I have to sew through an intesection consisting of several layers and I am concerned that I could throw the whole machine out of whack. Don't want to use my computerized machine so thought this would be a good alternative. Probably need to use specific needles and thread also? Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
before i'd risk i t, I'd take it to a shoe repair shop.